power cat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatfan, Aug 21, 2005.

1. boatfan

boatfan New Member

There are many stock plan options for sailing cats out there , why are there very little (almost zero ) stock plans
    for home built plywood power catamarans around 30 ft
    upward :confused:

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

I've seen this question on a couple different boat building forums lately.

I was talking to guy in Florida about this a while back (conversation started in this fourm). He was looking to construct a mold and he expressed the same frustration with the lack of plans available.

Only reason I could think of is low demand for them. Designers don't want to invest the time into a set of plans they think won't sell so good. Perhaps if enough people talk about it, someone will get tempted to design one.

3. boatfan

boatfan New Member

Thanks for the reply ,
    With production power cats costing hundreds of thousands (even used) there must be demand out there ,p articularly
    in super fuel efficient designs, I personally know of several
    people interested in building.People get put off by having to commission a custom design when all other plan markets have a huge choice of stock designs to pick from.I really think its a section overlooked by designers.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Lavranos powercat designs

Recently, I received from our Middle East agent a request for a 2nd hand power cat by way of small passenger vessel for max 70 persons (pax).
    I have been looking now for ages around but cannot find anything useful: most of the cats are too big, and this is for a small operator.
    In the mould section, I found somebody that had mould of a cat that could - as far as I could see - useful.
    When I linked to his site, I filled in all the boxes, waiting for a reply to come, that evidently never came.

We are still in the market for this small vessel and the client could be motivated to build a new one.
    I had already contact with the Lavranos Cy from New Zealand, they have a basic design that could be good for a number of applications : look at lavranos@ihug.co.nz

This is a 19 m cat drawings you may find in the website of Lavranos.

I am going to check the possibilities to build such a cat here in the EEC.

It will be a 19m cat, single deck, of a simple construction from flat sheets, no rolling required and fitted out with MAN or MTU engines according to my cients requirements.

The Lavranos powercat design is proven more than once and I support his
    design-concept philosophy.

5. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Wish I knew more about them. I'd be tempted. ;)

I've heard a few designers say they're going to do one, but nothing has come out yet.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.