positive floatation?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Stoned Pirate, I agree fully with reply #13 and #15. They are not sarcastic, they just like to see you building something from scrap material which cost you very little and then to redo it properly, after you have learned what to do and what not. Remember, you can only learn from your mistakes, not from the good things and decissions you make. Thus make those mistakes with building a small boat. It will be money well spent
    Bert

2. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

helicopter have emergency inflatable pontoons, why not boats? Instead of deploying m

helicopter emergency inflatable pontoons, why not boats?

That is what those 'things' are on the skids of small helicopters.

Instead of deploying much smaller inflatable life rafts if the boat is sinking, how about deploying some inflatable tubes about the main boat?

I figure they could be mounted as semi-permanent rubbing strakes on the hull about 1/2 from the deck to water line, with a sufficient covers to prevent damage, and would be in 8'(?)sections anyway some if a couple turned out to be damaged and useless the other 2/3 should still do the job.

They might even be deployed in rough seas or massive extra flotation is called for.

Could you get a break on sinking insurance?
    [​IMG]

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is very well said Bert. I agree complitly.
    Stonedpirate go for it, and put pictures for our interrest.
    Try to be on the cheap side just to have the taste of it.
    And you never know, perhaps the first attempt will be the good one!
    Who knows if you don't try.
    Yes it will be money well spent as said Bert.
    I am not that sarcastic, and sorry if I was a little over the top with you.
    Daniel

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes, Squidly-Diddly, that was also what I meant in reply #11. You just put it in a better way. It should not take too much space up, and can be very well put to use in an emergency.
    Bert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.