Pop 25

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by abh, Jan 19, 2012.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I think it was abh who started the thread.
    By the way, never ask, anyone of us will have a different opinion. If you like it, go for it, but you will be the poor guy who pay the bill, explain to his wife why is late for dinner smelling like hell. :D
    Good luck

2. BernardG

BernardG Junior Member

I was referring to MY first messages in this discussion.

3. BernardG

BernardG Junior Member

I don't know how many times I need to repeat that BATTERIES ARE PART OF THE BALLAST in this design. If you don't put them (or less) you will have to put dead weight to compensate, not a great move!

Now, a 10 hp marine diesel engine weight about 100 kgs, with his own battery to start it, plus fuel and tank, total 111 kgs.
    6 * 30 kgs batteries, plus 14 kgs engine = 194 kgs, so in fact, the difference between the 2 is only 83 kgs, which is less that my own weight!

BTW, does your engine start each and every time, all the time ?

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Oh please BernardG, using this calculator and telling me that! I make a living for more than 45 years designing and for a time building all sort of vessel with different engines and propeller configuration. You have the goal to tell me that a 1.3Kw will move this boat at 3knots, against let say a tidal current of 5 knots? Oh yes your boat will go reverse. Genius
    You don't want your boat to go faster? The sea decide, the wind decide, not you. You are not on a car but on a boat. I can't believe what I read.
    Don't play the naval architect because you can Goggle.
    I sailed the whole Mediterranean , so I know how impetuous can be the wind. In Spain, the Tramontana, even the Levant, and when you stock in a little cove in Costa Bravada, the engine need to be ready and powerful enough. Because the cliffs do not allow the wind to be efficient enough to go against the mounting sea. Or the wind has died and the residual waves push you to the rocks. You know that you have always to be prepared for the worst, only the imbeciles think otherwise.
    You should have listened to the members inset of blasting them, because you are an ignorant in boats, engines and electrical system. You are certainly not a sailor. But a fraude with plenty of arrogance.
    You wasted your time in pretense inset of learning.
    You so delusional and full of yourself that you thought the thread was yours.

5. BernardG

BernardG Junior Member

I am sorry but are you sure you actually read what I post? Let me quote myself:
    Where do I talk about going against the tide?

Now, explain something to the total ignorant that I am. Does a sailor has to count on the good will of his engine to get him out of a bad situation, or should he count on his sails, first, and assume his engine may not start?

Just curious.

BTW, I never thought this thread was mine. YOU DID. Because you think that your experience allow you to blast others without taking the time to read and understand what they post. I am sorry, but I do believe your last sentence says a lot more about yourself than about me.

6. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I'm asked this very question often.

My reply has always been, "because I think it would be fun to"... And to date my build has been a fantastic learning experience.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

What you need to consider is the house load of the boat. The backround energy use. I use 250 amp hour per day and Im an energy miser. How will you capture and store this energy ?

8. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Does a sailor need an engine. Hell yes. Im underway right now. Decent wind 15 knots broad reach. but the sea state is rough. 1.5 meters, aft of the beam. The motion of the boat is violent and causeing the sails to talk, chafe, fatigue. The whole mast is jumping around. The sails are coming down and I will motor the remaining 40 miles to avoid this fatigue.

9. BernardG

BernardG Junior Member

I already answered this question, not going to do it a second time.

10. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

There are two relatively easy ways to deal with the lack of driving power due to the 7.2 kw/hour battery system.

1.) bring a gen set along with some fuel for it. Even a small 5kw gen set could add 3 hp and vastly extend the electric motor range.
    2.) bring an outboard of say 3 to 5 hp. It could be used with the electric motor to increase the available hp.

There is still no getting around that this design is underpowered for an auxiliary. It would often have to be treated like a sailboat without an engine. This means you will have to wait for favorable tides and you might need a tow against certain currents. Good ground tackle is a must.

Of course, you could go with an even bigger outboard, but only use it when the electric motor system proves inadequate.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Well Sharpii what you says is: bring on a gasoline or diesel engine.
    When you have an engine, it is to be useful. If is not efficient, it should not be on board. Why having an engine who doesn't works? Or just in certain circumstances?
    I think in this point of development gas or diesel engine is the only way to power safely and efficiently a small boat.
    Then you can put a alternator and have fun. Or a small Honda gen set to top the batteries as you mention
    Outboard engine are really fantastic, they are strong, have good torque and are easy to maintain for a very fair price compare to diesel or electrical engines

12. Engine44

Engine44 New Member