Pontoon/Trimaran concept?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by terra, Mar 29, 2011.

1. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Russell Brown (PT Foils) works with Paul Beiker - sounds like one of Paul Beiker's designs (world class racing designer of I14s, America's Cup, Oracle BMW etc.) optimized for efficiency, stable photo platform work and on the water observation of sailing designs. The concept was pioneered in Australia as television and photo platforms for monetizing/wagering 18' skiff races - over time they concluded that nothing else could efficiently keep up with the skiffs (over 30 knots at times), be stable in wave and chop, as well as keep the crew from losing their lunch. If you watch the old Ronstan videos of the Grand Prix 18's you quickly understand how and why the boats evolved.

Bora Gulari in Detroit (former Moth world champion) was doing development on a similar power cat where two 20 horse outboards could cheaply do the job of a 80 plus horsepower monohull. Searching on Sailing Anarchy's dinghy anarchy forum may be worthwhile.

--
    CutOnce

2. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

3. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Saw this particular boat (accompanied by Russell Brown no less) in Mystic at the Woodenboat show last year. Absolutely stunning boat almost completely ignored by the crowds. I was ashamed of the crowds that walked by without understanding the PT was way cheaper to operate and build than a RIB.

It was embarrassing, but we got more attention at the show with my son's garage-built 2.4 meter sail boat than Russell Brown did.

Here is a link to the boat I was talking about.

--
    CutOnce

4. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

People at boat shows are overwhelmed and dazzled by flash, and only a few discerning individuals such as yourself see what a boat really is, and what it's actually used for, by real people, on real water.
    How many of us daydream of Mint Daquiris from the white-uniformed steward's tray, sitting in rattan on the spotless teak stern deck under the bleached awning keeping off the tropical sun while dusky maidens lurk giggling in the background?
    Yes, yachts.....
    Not gonna happen, but a PT skiff fits in the garage.
    PT Skiff= real good usable safe cheap economical boat and I want one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.