Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 7
Pontoon boat seating arrangement

Hello boaters! My husband and I are looking to purchase our first pontoon boat, and was hoping to get some insight on the seating floor plan. We found a 2016 Starcraft CX21R, which has two captains chairs in the middle of the deck, with two-sweater benches in each corner of the boat. My husband says it opens up the layout, and creates more floor space. I think it creates too much space between the front and back seats... then again, it would be pretty cool to be sitting side by side as co-captains we don't have kids (yet), and would mainly be for entertaining friemds/family.

Does anyone have experience with a layout like this? I realize it's probably a personal preference, but would love anyone's input! Pictures are attached for reference.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Pontoon boat seating arrangement-cx-21-r.png  Pontoon boat seating arrangement-5604189_0_311219691600_7.jpg  Pontoon boat seating arrangement-digi56723890.jpg  

Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 AM
Yacht Designer/Builder

Rep: 3967 Posts: 17,963
Welcome to the forum.

Seating and general accommodation arrangements tend to be pretty personal preference types of things. Try to access what your uses might need and plan accordingly. You'll find a divided seating arrangement pretty common, as most don't take their boat out with a full guest load most of the time, so a more intimate setting can be had with the aft seating close to the helm, typically around a table.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the input @PAR! Most of our friends have wakeboard boats, so we're not used to this type of relaxed riding. You're right, most of the time we will not have a full boat... though, I know our friends will be more than happy to hop on and take a break from pulling everyone behind their Malibu
Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Rep: 2031 Posts: 11,897
Your wakeboard friends will envy the beer carrying capacity and the BBQ on your pontoon. That layout has the advantage that when the captain seats are rotated, it makes kind of a circle with the whole seating arrangement.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Rep: 896 Posts: 1,843
I WOULD not change anything until you you have several trips under your belt with and without company.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:58 AM

You got that right @gonzo! Very true, I'm starting to like this layout more and more!

@rasorinc we are not going to change the layout. If we purchase, it's staying as is. We'll just add things like a cooler seat or BBQ