pontoon boat parameters: basic sources?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by helipilot, Aug 20, 2005.

1. helipilot

helipilot New Member

Trans-oceanic 50' sailboat captain & professional helicopter pilot wondering where to start on sizing & sources for Pontoon Boat/Helipad combo.

Specifics: National Park Service allows helicopter operations on Lake Powell (Utah/Arizona) waters but not on surrounding adjacent park lands. Houseboats and pontoon boats are acceptable "water" bases. Currently have 2-seat helicopter on trailer behind RV, 3 years experience playing with that combination, looking at adding a flattop pontoon platform (18'? 24'?) onto the trailer under helicopter, spending next summer on the lake playing watersports and helicopter sightseeing.

Question is how to figure out pontoon boat specs to carry 2000-2500# of helicopter, two people, camping gear, and the resulting weight of the boat so that the trailer's capacity can be upgraded.

Is there a handbook of pontoon boat sizes and flotation and weight and sources and costs?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  2. KCook

KCook Senior Member

So will this 'toon be a towed barge or self-propelled boat? Either way a 3-log design will give you a lot more capacity.

Kelly Cook

3. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

These are your pontoon boat/platform guys. Any length in 5 foot increments, Marine grade aluminum/magnesium alloy. Price lists. Very responsive to email.
    http://u-fabboats.com/

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Thanks for the link Jonathan, it is a simple and therefore straightforward construction for a houseboat. A friend of mine is looking for one.

5. JonathanCole

JonathanCole imagineer

D'Artois,

I am waiting just now for a quote to ship 50 foot pontoons to Amsterdam if your friend is in Europe. I am trying to build a solar-electric hybrid houseboat for cruising the inland waterways of Europe.

Jonathan

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Jonathan,

My friend is right here in Holland. My office is only 15 miles west of Amsterdam, do you have a final price for a 50 ' set up and all the transversals?

What I require is just the basic set that I can use to build up a cabin at our shipyard - the pontoons needs to be min. 36 inch dia - some open waters require a bit of buoyancy, but basically your idea runs parallel to ours.

I will mail you my coordinates, get me yours back. Wemay combine some of our efforts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.