Please identify this contraption

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Slomosome, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Slomosome

Slomosome New Member

half way through this clip there is a very minimal planing or foiling trimaran/trisomething (pink/purple sail):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWINygISxDE
    Does anyone know anything about this sailboat?
    I am asking because it's design is very close to something I have been contemplating building, ie. a lightweight hydrofoil that uses small planing hulls to get enough speed up to fly. Cheers

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The clip stirs the spirit of old geezers like me. Wow! Go fast boats including the dude on the kiteboard.

The ski or foil thing is hard to make out. By virtue of the brief clip, it is certain that it works. It looks more like skis than foils, but if so, how did the driver get it up in the first place? Could he have been towed to get the skis on top? I wonder if he is using front steering as on an iceboat. Fascinating contraption.

3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

At 2:04, I guess? It looks so rustic that it is probably some home-built, one-off craft. I've had a similar idea back in university days. Never went too deep into a design stage, nor tried to build it though... Nice (well, not so much) to see that someone else had a courage to do it. :rolleyes:

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Fantastic video-I posted it in "Great Multihull Video" in the Multihulls forum.
    The boat you're refering to , if I remember correctly, a takeoff on the Hobie Trifoiler. I'm pretty sure I read about it here and you can probably find it in the archives: http://foils.wordpress.com/

5. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

If it helps I saw something much like that off of Cote D'azur a couple years ago.

But the 3rd related video (Rudenko) down on the right caught my eye and after hitting the mute button it was great...thanks for that!

6. Slomosome

Slomosome New Member

Ha, it shows just how obsessed I am with this idea that I didn't notice that vid! Thanks for the info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.