Playwood shell hull design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alexanov, Oct 27, 2015.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Alexanov, perhaps I expressed myself badly because I agree with what you say.
    I say that straight frames can be in a non-developable surface and curved frames can be in developable surfaces. I think that, basically, is the same as what you say.
    Also, straight frames can be in developable surfaces. That's what I commented on the dilemma posed by CDokey.
    Greetings and peace for all.

2. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It looks very interesting article. I will read carefully.
    Another issue that interested me is to know approximate methods to develop not developable surfaces, and are easily programmable. Does anyone know anything about it?. Thanks, again.

4. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

This is not easy. Usually you have to find plates contour with minimal stretching/shrinking deformations. 15 years ago ve develope such alghoritm for ShapeMaker and it takes about 1 year with adjustments and test in different shell areas.
    Here I found in internet some Master's Degree -https://fenix.tecnico.ulisboa.pt/downloadFile/395142233596/resumo.pdf
    Not sure how is simple this method.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Thanks Alexanov, that's part of what I was looking for. In my student days (many years ago) I used the geodesic method, described in your article, and also methods of triangulation and the straight base line. Your article completes the information I needed. I'll see if it can be programmed for use in my applications.

6. Alexanov

Alexanov Senior Member

Thanks everyone for help. I am finish with this boat and quite happy with result.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.