plate aluminium boat kit

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by grant1963, Mar 16, 2008.

1. grant1963

grant1963 New Member

Guys,

I want to build a plate aluminium boat, 6.0 -6.5m cuddy cab design. Interested in a flat pack kit but would prefer to source and cut my own plate.

It will be mainly used in the ocean for diving, we get caught in all sorts of weather so it must perform is hard conditions.

Have seen some great designs of boats in Perth but shipping costs are a killer.

Can any one recomend or sell me a design, or point me in the direction of someone who can.

Cheers
    Grant

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I have a couple, I built 4 of the 6m boat, with very deep fine entry
    it had wide chines, and was the sorftest running boat outrunning everything in choppy seas
    I will try find the paperwork for it, we built all 4 as cuddies using 140 2 cycle yamaha at the time ,
    i will find pic and scan it send you pm
    Ann there is a red boat in my gallery with similar bottom, that is an 8m boat

3. grant1963

grant1963 New Member

Thanks heaps Lazeyjack, look forward to the pics and anthing else you can provide, cheers

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

this is the one, you see the wide chine disguises the depth of vee, deadrise aft is 22
    I made a machine to put a joggle in the topside plates of all my trailer boats, since I stopped building I sent the machine to scrap, pity

Attached Files:

5. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

Side Joggle Machine

lazeyjack,
    You mentioned a machine to joggle the topsides of your trailer boats, did that resemble a big version of a bead roller?

Wondering if there were top and bottom 'arms' reaching to the middle of a sheet- (1.5-2m) and holding a set of concentric/nested profile rollers forming a ridge or dip in the sheet?

From the photo I'm guessing the joggle was a 'Z' section(?) but the small photo's not telling all.

Do ya' happen to recall the radiuses you found best suited for different alloys? Any guidance would be appreciated as I'm trying to build something similar for 5052 and 5086 -but only up to 0.125"- 3mm material.

Thanks for any time to reply.

cheers,
    kmorin

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i went to the scrap yard, I bought a big old reduction gear so the travel speed was 2 feet a min, I , I had some big pillow block bearings also from scrap and a 2 inch high tensile shaft for the driven roller, the squeeze was put on by a second roller on top mounted on a screw thread(old fashioned truck jack from memory the radious on edge of each roller was 15mm, the rollars were 150 dia from 2inch thick steel I rigged a pointer on the machine, drew a line on the plate and fed in with no weight on then screwed down slowly and with one man at the switch and the other at the end of plate worked down the line, the man at switch eyes the pointer and the guides the man on end of plate, It is bloody nerve racking but some of ours were 8m, we never had any mistakes or chuck aways, we only did to 4mm I would hate to buy all thsoe components new
    The roller ended up abt 300 mm from ground level, adn we used timeber to bring plate to same level
    The sqeeze never ever closed the rollars to 3, or 4mm or whatever, the joggle was slight, I was the first to do it in NZ, later I will sketch it, But in answer to the first question, I can only find plans for 7 -9 m boats, I gave the 6m to my prentice, and he died, which was a huge shock to me

7. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Grant
    This company may be one to try:
    http://www.platealloy.com/6metre.htm
    I have not had anything to do with them other than correspond with their naval architect but they were obliging enough. Not sure if they will sell plans separately though.

Rick W.

8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

plate aluminum boat

YOU MIGHT look at specialty marine contractors. Lots of plans-located in Oregon plus elsewhere. Stan

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Who might look in Oregon, rasorinc? grant 1963 is in Oz and I'm in London and I've got the Tolman and the Devlin books. :D :D

Pericles

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

12. Remoosed

Remoosed New Member

Lazyjack I'm a retired welder, trying to get ducks in a row. Want to build a boat like the one in your picture,at home with some coffee shop friends. Please let me know what I can do to get your plans. I we want to buy,cut,weld everything ourselves. Thank you Remoosed

13. plebusmaximus

plebusmaximus Junior Member

Have a look here: http://www.platealloy.com

There is plenty more. Lofting your own is a big job.

Have a look around and speak to some builders. There would be some looking for work at the moment.

Have the hull "aluminium only" built and do the rest. It may work out cheaper.

That's enough on its own to keep you busy for a while. ;)

Where are you in Australia Grant?

14. Remoosed

Remoosed New Member

plebusmaximus Good advice. In the last few mounths I've bought a used plasma cutter, bandsaw and drafting table. I'm now building two 4x8 adjustable rollaround tables. I'm looking for a used Miller 350p with push pull gun. Plus a water cooled tig. I would like to find, buy,con,get some plans close to what we want to build. I learn buy doing, however I make every mastake five times. I'm at this forum to cut down on my mistakes. Looks like my first mastake is not buying a precut kit. I think (know)I can build aboat. Designing a boat is way over my head. Thank you Remoosed

15. aussieav8r

aussieav8r Junior Member

Boat design

Hi grant I might be persuaded to sell a copy of my plans so that you can make up your own boat , the drawings are not fully detailed and are for the basic hull design but with a little skill you can fit out however you like
    I cut the complete boat out using a circular saw it was easy and fun and went together very well .
    See it under the 5.6 meter centre consul heading on the forum http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/5-6-meter-plate-alloy-home-design-26071.html

Use the link cut and paste it in your browser

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.