Plastic drums for diesel?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ted655, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Being here on the Gulf, we run into "finds" from time to time. I have bought some Xtra heavy plastic drums (reportedly from Korea). They are approx. 1/2" thick.
    :confused: Anyone know of a reason we can't haul spare diesel fuel in them?
    Thanks,

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

My 1985 VW Diesel Golf had a plastic fuel tank. I don't know what kind of plastic though.

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

many tractors, motorbikes, cars etc. have plastic tanks. Also many containers - jerrycans are plastic. The question is what kind of plastic. Even if the container are korean they might have the triangular recycling "stamp" with a number and possibly letters on it. I believe PE and PET are ok for fuels - should be fairly easy to confirm.

Poly Ethylene
    Poly ethylene tetralate - or something - spelling might be wrong on both - learnt this stuff in finnish and never needed it in english...

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Personally Iv'e never seen plastic fuel tanks deteriate from the fuel within. But I have seen them dry up and eventually crack because of the sun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.