Plans for open water rowing shell

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sander, Feb 17, 2010.

1. sander

sander Junior Member

Hi everyone

I am looking for some plans for a fast open water rowing shell!

I want to make it in wood (No plywood) and it would be nice if the boat is hard to build, cause i am studying to boat builder and want a challenge (just started so not super super hard).

I prefer speed over stability (but nothing extreme)

pricing max about 100-150 us dollar (download is ok)

i am 194 cm

I would really apreciate a link or two!

Thanks in adwance

Regards Sander

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Sander; be patient, someone with more information than I have will surely reply to your post. One of the longest running threads on the forum is about rowing. Use the search function to find rowing topics. Look for the screen name Nordvincrew for the first clue.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Wooden shells are plywood. Racing ones are steamed and laminated in place. It takes a very experienced boatbuilder to make them. Some older boats were make of Honduras mahogany of about 2.5 mm. They need a full time professional to maintain them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.