Plans to build a 40 feet plywood BARGE or PUNT.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by garthbishop, Jul 9, 2014.

1. garthbishop

garthbishop Junior Member

After looking around i may decide to build a DORY 30' to 40' long with 8' bottom to fit on a trailer..

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Sounds great, got any links to the style you're looking at.
    Regards from Jeff.

3. garthbishop

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. garthbishop

I found some pics to help me design my project..

Attached Files:

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So you are going with proper plans, or make it up as you go ?

6. garthbishop

Soon i will be meeting with my friend that is Registered Boat Builder here on Panglao Island Bohol Philippines to talk and make a BLUEPRINT of the finished design... He will charge AU$400 per foot to make it, 25 to 30 meters long Bottom 8'wide 3 layers 1/2" marine ply fiberglassed up the sides above the water line.... Sides are 32"high 1/2"marine ply.... Inside will be Epoxy..

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am confused. A BLUPRINT is just the paper its printed on.

Who is preparing the "finished design" with its engineering calculations, its buoyancy data, its framing dimensions etc ?

8. garthbishop

The Registered Boat Builder will prepare the FINISHED DESIGN...

9. Commuter Boats

Commuter Boats Commuter Boats

My father past more than 30 years ago but before he went he taught me many things and among them was " There's only two colors to paint the hull of a boat, white and black and only an idiot would paint one black." And another was " Only two people design their own boat, a Marine engineer and an idiot..."

While I think of those lessons all the time, I have a small pile of boat " designs" that I have done ( and built more than half a dozen of them) and I've painted them all gray.
    I concede to being a small part " idiot"
    Gerald

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Being "fishing" boats, they might not be intended for hauling people. But other than that, the load capacities of the v-bottom fishing boats are nowhere near what they say for the flat bottom fishing boats.
    https://archive.org/stream/fishingboatdesig034778mbp#page/n1/mode/2up

Whereas the 8.5 meter v bottom has a load rating of 500kg, or 1102 pounds, the 8.43 meter flat bottom has a "carrying capacity up to 2 tons of payload ", or 4,000 pounds.

The flat bottom ones also go a step larger, showing an 11.25 meter boat with a capacity of up to 3 tons of payload.

It can't be that the capacities are that much different, it must be the 'designers' and 'engineers' useing different criteria.

The 8.5 meter v bottom has a beam of 6' and a depth of 2' 4" for 1102 lbs capacity.
    The 8.23 meter flat bottom has a beam of 5' 11" and a depth of 1' 10" with a capacity of 3,000 lbs.

The larger flat bottom boats are labeled as 'transport' boats and the definition of transport is
    So, what good are engineering calculations and buoyancy data when calculations and data can be so disparate? In the one case it's calculated 7 people (at 150 lbs each) can ride in a boat, while another calculation for a smaller boat says you can haul 20 people?

I'm thinking garthbishop is on a reasonable path to get a safe boat. He's dealing with registered boat builders who have an interest in building a safe boat, there has got to be thousands of time tested empirical examples of what works and what doesn't, right there locally.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.