plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by diegot, Feb 24, 2011.

1. diegot

diegot Junior Member

Hi im new to this forum and i live in peru, i am really interested in building a yacht for me and my family as a personal project, i would really like to know some sites were i can find good yacht plans preferabily cheap or free, i am looking for boats between 45'-90'. I have seen bruce roberts but i think his price is to much.

Thanyou '

Diego

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If Bruce Roberts, who possibly sells the cheapest plans in the planet, is too much for you, then building a yacht is not even a dream. The plans are less than 01.% of the total cost. You are way out or your league.

3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I have to second gonzo's reply. Other than materials, plans are the most important part of a boat building project. Do not skimp here.

Also, I might add that designers aren't typically millionaires sitting around doing nothing. Most of them design for the love of the work and are paid relatively little compared to other professions using the same skill set. Bruce Roberts isn't getting rich off your plan purchase.

Pay for a good design and you'll be quite happy. Skimp on some free/junk design and you'll invest your life's savings in a pile of crap with no resale value.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd have to agree, 45' to 90' yachts aren't cheap to build and the plans for them aren't cheap to produce either. I have designs in this size range, but the cheapest 45' yacht I have is a simple stock plan for $1,250. The prices rise sharply from there as complexity and drawing count increase. The cheapest 44' yacht I know is the Glen-L's "Starpath" sailing cruiser at $550. The Plywood version of Glen-L's "Reliant", a 49' sailing cruiser is about $660 and the 55' "Lodestar" by the same designer is about $725. If looking for a power cruiser, the 49' Klondike is about $550.

Franky, I don't know of any place you can down load a complete plan set for a 45' - 90' yacht of any type, for free or relatively low cost.You may want to evaluate your budget considerations in regard to your ideas about building a 45' - 90' yacht, because if serious plans aren't possible, then I suspect not much else will be either.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Ditto, You can find free and cheap plans for small and simple skiffs but if you want a 50 footer, it is nonsense to think that someone is going to provide good plans for free. If free plans are really necessary, I shudder to think of what kind of material would go into the actual boat.

I can just hear the fingers typing away about the negative advice you are getting here. It may be tough but it the best thing that anyone could do for you.

6. diegot

diegot Junior Member

ok so ill just go with it and buy bruce roberts,thanks
    do you know hoe much will it cost to build one

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It depends on the materials and finish. Also, on how much you need to hire out. Rigging and sails alone, if you go really cheap should be about U$ 20.000 for the smaller size

8. diegot

diegot Junior Member

Im planning in building a motor yacht like bruce roberts waverunner 55 or 65

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think you are getting into a project way beyond your abilities. With the average wages in Peru, hiring a couple of guys with experience would be a good idea. Also, you may start with something smaller to gain knowledge. How about your boating experience, how much have you been at sea?

10. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Diego,

A 55 ft - 65 ft yacht is a HUGE task which will cost you a HUGE amount of money and a HUGE amount of time. You will need a team of experienced welders, woodworkers, electricians and plumbers for that yacht, a building yard with approximately 30m x 15m x H10m big hall equipped with a crane, doors wide enough to pull the beast out and a good road connection to a port facility. I have seen people demolishing the wall around the hall entrance, to make it wide enough to pull the boat out... And also know of a guy who, during a transport of a finished hull towards the sea, had to dismantle a part of the superstructure because it was too high to pass under a highway bridge. And stuff like this: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/open-discussion/when-optimism-rules-26291.html

I'm not telling you it is an impossible task, but I'm telling you to think twice about every aspect of that enterprise, from the logistics and materials procurement to the building, launching, all the way to the maintainance costs, and various fees and taxes. And then see if perhaps a Waverunner 38 or an Euro 1200 would better suit your need and technical/economical possibilities.

Cheers!

11. diegot

diegot Junior Member

I live in peru, a relly maritime country where their are many boatbuilders even a new yacht manufacturer owned by some ex navy guy, so that wont be a problem but i reallly want to know an apporximate price

Than you

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think you should ask the guy. He will know local prices for labor and materials. Also, what options you have for equipment.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Easily $100,000 (USD) and quickly up from there, depending on material choices.

14. diegot

diegot Junior Member

Yes in peru we have well experinced people chasrging not that much for working, because here everything is really cheap, as about to sea experience i have been at i am not an expert sailor but I but i have some experience in fishing boats, catamarans and yachts. and im expecting this to be a good experience as well as learning more while i construct the boat

15. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

PAR, $100,000 sounds very low to me. Are the construction costs that low in US? :confused:

Here in Italy I would expect something like 12-14 € per tonne of finished, operative boat, made with marine grade materials but no luxury stuff like teak deck or similar.
    For a 20-25 t, 55-60 ft boat like Waverunner it would translate into something like 250.000 - 350.000 Euros.

That said, I really have no idea about costs in Peru, and maybe you have taken into account the economical reality of that country...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.