plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by diegot, Feb 24, 2011.

1. diegot

diegot Junior Member

I think i will first start building a smaller ship like the euro 1400 and if i like it a lot i go for the bigger yachts but im not sure i must speak with my family first on what we really want

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Good plan. It will let you make mistakes in a smaller scale. We all make them, but with experience they become less.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, Slavi, I've attempted to account for Peru's economic situation and lots of very low cost skilled labor. Old tractor engines, fork lift transmissions, the use of an uncle's idle ship building facilities, reclaimed steel, used tanks and of course your best friend the world's greatest welder, all could conspire to bring this in for just under 6 figures . . . then I awoke from my daydream and realized I had none of these things and half a million in USD sounds pretty good.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

:D :D :D

Which, incidentally and off-topic, is the average market price of a well-maintained Riva Aquarama Special from 70's... The one you know about. ;)

It's a funny and sometimes crazy world, isn't it?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yea, so how'd that work out? Did it get moved or were you able to hold your breath as they worked on it?

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Short-term (and imho short-sighted) money considerations have won over the reason and over the heart, Paul.

Last week the paint has been stripped off the frames, together with few traces of oil and dirt, and cracks have been filled with epoxy. Next week the guys will epoxy the reinforcements I've described to you - futtock doublers (don't know a correct english term), 8 mm sheets both side. I have seen, touched and inspected some other repair jobs they did on similar boats and I must admit they do know their stuff. So now I feel more confident they can do it right.

Your suggestions have been precious, especially for my personal technical education, and have been thoroughly discussed with both the owner and the yard. I want to thank you for the support, and I'll send you few pics after the job is finished.

Cheers!

7. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

If you have a ballpark estimate for the total cost, 20% is for the hull and deck materials alone. Figure 18% for your labor and hired ones based on your area. Could be higher on other areas. The balance is for outfitting, sails, amenities, finish, and auxillary engines. What you put in the boat cost more than the bare hull and deck.

And oh, you have to add 8 to 10% on top of that. For launching. It is not for champagne or beer money but for crane, trailer, primemovers, and crew.

8. diegot

diegot Junior Member

here in peru a 60 feet fishing boat runs costs about 60,000 soles roughly 20,000 dollars, i intend to do my boat somewhat with this standards but mor "luxurious" adding 20,000-30,000 dollars i could have a really nice boat since we have reallly cheap and good motors here i could have a cheap and good boat by october

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I find it hard to believe you can get an engine, transmission, shafts, etc included in the price. How about a generator and electrics? Are you talking about an empty boat?

10. Quatsino Boater

Quatsino Boater Junior Member

wow I was aloting that on a 38 to 45 footer while doing the welding and engine/systems install and carpentry myself. I figured $35000 for steel. The displacement 36 500 so around 28000 lb of steel @ 1.25 /lb. This should cover any rolling.
    $25000 to $35000 for engine transmission prop, ect.( 75-100hp John Deere 20 -$22000, tranny and possibly a saab cpp $3000, filter banks possible gen set an controls )
    15 k for carpentry work and stoves heaters ect ,the rest for sails.

I hope I'm not overestimating :confused:

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are not including electrics and plumbing.

12. ecflyer

ecflyer Junior Member

Gonzo

Hi Gonzo,
    I see you live in Milwaukee, and aparently travel the world. What do you do for a living. I live in Green bay and I am retired. I am launching the first sailing yacht that I ever built this spring. It Is a 50' Pilothouse ketch with inside and outside helms. Everything is first class on my build and she will be a blue water cruiser. I have never been on a sailboat, so had to learn everything from books.

Have a Spiffy G'Day
    Earl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.