Pilot House / Coach Roof Camber

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by SeaJay, Apr 22, 2010.

1. messabout

messabout Senior Member

A very good reason for much camber is a structural one. If you are to span 10 feet then you will need some pretty hefty beams to support the skin. Hefty beam: that means that they will need considerable depth....depth means that headroom is infringed. But cambered beams can be made so that they need not have so much depth. More camber equals less beam depth and visa-versa. Smaller cambered beams will be lighter and produce less top hamper too.

Sorry about that. I realize that you are speaking of aesthetics not structural issues, but sooner or later the build detail will become important.

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

Canadians eat Ketchup flavored potato chips - That boat's camber does look good, however. Its just under three inches in just under six feet if their drawings are to scale.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We eat ketchup flavored potato chips in Florida too. A habit no doubt picked up from our Canadian friends. They go very well with Alaskan halibut. :)

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Potato chips have a nice camber, I like Ruffles!
    How about a corrugated quonset roof like a WWII barracks?
    Strong as hell, could be painted red with nonskid to resemble ketchup flavor coating.

1 person likes this.
  5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I used 7 inches of rise (arch) over 9 feet of span on a 10 X 25 foot barge

houseboat and found it adequate in every way.

-Tom

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  6. LarryMcI

LarryMcI Junior Member

5 degree stanchion bases are common, for a reason; railing supports should be close to vertical. On decks or rooftops, 5 degree slope (at the outboard edges) is sufficient to assure drainage. I designed 16' wide roofs, for a large catamaran, that slope 4 degrees at the outboard edges. This assures that railing stanchions slant 'inward' slightly, to minimize toe-stubbing.

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Did you just get into my computer when I clicked on your ********, Anthony, or is it simply unwanted advertisements?

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

WTF are you talking about?

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Spam disguised as a comment on the thread, with links to advertising. He was wondering whether he wound up with a trojan when he clicked on the one of the links.

The same spam showed up on a whole slew of threads; it's been deleted.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.