The perfect Passagemaker? (style within this genre)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Which one is your preferred style of long range cruiser?

1. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46218d1281296336t-perfect-passagemaker

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46219d1281296383t-perfect-passagemaker

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46220d1281296396t-perfect-passagemaker

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46221d1281296423t-perfect-passagemaker

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46222d1281296441t-perfect-passagemaker

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46223d1281296454t-perfect-passagemaker

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. [img]http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-design/46224d1281296476t-perfect-passagemaker

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  9. [url=http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/perfect-passagemaker-style-within-genre-these-opti

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Hey Peers,

let me beg you to vote for your favourite design of a passagemaking motoryacht.

The vessel in question will be a motoryacht of about 23 to 25 meter Loa. A size I personally
    call perfect for long ocean voyages with two people and no crew.
    The yacht is planned for a couple with children and occasional friends.
    She will provide a Maximum of 6 berths.
    The boat will have transpacific range and a endurance of 90 days.

Let us assume price and cost are not the main concern. (well, I now)

Further let us assume all boats are of similar material and size, and are about equal in terms of prize,
    cost, seaworthiness, performance and speed.

Which one of the designs shown is your favourite in terms of styling? Or do you have another style motoryacht you would choose? (if so, please post a picture)

Please let us focus on the styling only!

No discussions about material, propulsion or other technical features.
    Of course one should comment why a style is preferred. (more accommodation when the wheelhouse is in front for example)

1)
    The North Sea Trawler, the mother of all trawlers.

2)
    A Gentlemans yacht from the 60ies (a Fairmile built in this case)

3)
    A fantail "steamer" in the style of the 20ies.

4)
    A "supply vessel" appearance.

5)
    A tri deck yacht in classical style.

6)
    A tri deck in contemporary style.

7)
    The US American translation of "trawler".

8)
    stands for the first proposal to come up here...........(the passagemaker light 80´)

9)
    stands for the second proposed vessel................

Again,

please, we are talking style only, Your preferred style, thats it!

Thank you all for your contribution.

Richard

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I like this one.....

Expd88.jpg

And this old one....I think she's off around the world or just back...Ted Geary design

ga_geary.jpg

The Christensen 78 is more modern

78Arender3.jpg

As is the 88'

Christensen88.jpg

And finally the Passagemaker Lite 98', as adapted for Hydrographic work in the Arctic Ocean

Hydrographic98red03.jpg

3. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

If I could have won enough money I would have built this.....

J. Simpson Off Shore 45 Tug
    [​IMG]

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The 60ies It was a time of great design, in Holland as in England.
    A time when Fred Parker was at his height and the Fiedship was doing some real beauty.
    I am a sucker for this style:

[​IMG]

But my heart is also toward the Dutch offshore salvage tugboat of the same period.
    The Lone Wolf is one of the rare survivor although almost disfigured by "designers"

But making matter more complicated, Rosen Cavalier remain the queen of all time in my view.
    Also disfigured by countless "designer" but OK.
    Unfair since the vessels I am naming are far larger.
    I can dream!
    But in the context of the size required, the Fairmile style is my favorite.

Daniel

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Great thread. I like #1 the best because it seems most sea-worthy stability-wise and holds fewer people irritation-wise.

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Defineatly #3 It's gorgeous in a modest way. Couldn't imagine anyother style of a cruiser to lie anchored by the Eastern island then bound towards Fatuhiva with grace and dignity in....
    I'm starting to cry.. :D
    BR Teddy

Attached Files:

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I like the sixties trawler also. Just modernize it a little. Make draft shallower, lighter, aluminum. Modern engines, bow thruster etc. Make rear area open more wide open and bigger. Most balanced look, best layout for the size. But I disagree on size for two people and other issues involved 64 feet is max. Fifty something might even be better, I have a 72' so I speak from experience.

8. EuroCanal

EuroCanal Junior Member

If I had to choose from your list, it would be the Nordhavn (ignoring quesitons about GRP construction, interior design etc)

In reality, I would also want something that can go along the Rhein and Mosel, so would choose a Boomelaer. It's discussable whether it is sufficiently ocean-going, maybe. At 20m it's a bit too small for your spec, but it has 7 berths.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Long, skinny and low. Fuel costs are only going to increase, probably by a lot. OK, all private vessels spend a lot of time anchored/moored so its running hours times gph that counts. Although fuel might only be something like 20% of annual cost of ownership, its a variable cost that is more easily controlled than other costs and thus rightly gets a lot of attention.

The passagemaking capability Richard specified can be met at 10-14 knots, or a bit slower if time is not an issue and fuel bill is front of mind. The basic question was of course style , and for me #2 wins there as well.

But I'd want to get some internal arrangements from Tad for his Passagemaker Lite 80, as I think it has even better styling and I expect would be able to provide the specified 6 berths with all liveaboard comforts of home. But a bit extravagant for two with occasional guests.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

As a passagemaker is specified, the inference is that she will be used to go places......thus fuel use would be a concern....but the question only concerned styling.......Once the style is settled practical aspects can be addressed, ie any hull form, construction, or powering can be integrated into the style........how well that works is up to the drawing guy.......

PL 80 arrangement attached below.........

View attachment Tad Roberts -16.pdf

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The Boomelaer's are nice looking models but to me that bow looks awfully blunt. She would be fine at low speed in flat water....canal cruising......but offshore in big waves would be very wet. At higher speed the resistance of those full waterlines forward would really bother me.....add another 10' forward and fine up the bow please.......

12. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Hear the man, hear the man! :cool:

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

that was to expect, that the very first comment is a brilliant example of ignorance and missing the point completely................
    These vessels, when designed right, are far away from being guzzlers, and can probably be cheaper operated than a sailing boat of similar size.
    The size is absolutely right for a couple, yes, no doubt. Though I said 23 - 25 meter not 27!

But that was not the question Mr. Magwas:!: All the rest of the contributors have grasped that!

TAD

thanks for your comments. The Geary design is very close to the Gerr design I posted as #3! Sure a beauty though.

I would like to make your passagemaker light the #8 on the poll list, named first proposal. Ok?

Would you post a picture please?

Knotty

thats a nice boat, no doubt, but 1/4 the size we are talking..........

Euro Canal

the Bommelaer is a really ugly duck and I doubt she is the best choice for ocean passages.

For the rest of you another picture of the by so far top voted, the old Fairmile yacht:

[​IMG]
    ....the bloody **** does´nt function again, ahhh what a country .....turkey...
    I post it as attachement.

And sorry for repeating it,

STYLING is the question
    some don´t grasp that obviously................

Regards
    Richard

Attached Files:

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As powerboats go, I find the classic styling of #2 (the Fairmile) to be the type that invariably catches my eye.... there are plenty of eye-catching modern ones too, but there's a difference between "That's really elegant and beautiful" and "Did the Starship Voyager lose a shuttle?" eye-catching.

A nice, positive sheer, echoed in the superstructure... combine with a stout raised pilothouse, sheltered side decks, and a low, trim overall profile, put it on a good sea boat hull like that of a Dashew yacht (none of this overloaded-freighter stuff you see in marina queens) and the result is undoubtedly "elegant, classy passagemaker". The classical tri-deck (#5) shares similar traits, if the superstructure isn't too large, but you often see them built too high for their length.

15. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.