The perfect Passagemaker III, propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 26, 2010.

?

Please pick your poison

1. Trawler: single Mitsubishi

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Trawler: twin Luggers

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Yacht: single Grenaa Diesel

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Yacht: twin Mitsubishi´s

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Yacht: twin Luggers

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I am fine with less accommodation in favour of a large engine room.

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  7. I prefer large accommodation, the engine room is second.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

The main reason to build your own boat IMHO is so you can fix it when broken and build in the redundancy you need.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I have flown many hours in single engine aircraft without any doubt as to whether two engines would have been "better". Why? Because engine maintenance is just as important as airframe maintenance and all the other maintenance that is necessary to keep the plane flying safely. Lets not confuse the professional mariner with the weekend warrior or uneducated boater. More importantly, who is your target market Richard? This is who you must build for if that's who you want to sell to.

-Tom

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

I thought these four related threads gave a crisp clear picture of the target clientele.
    It is not the average boater who fears a engine failure, but is too dumb, stingy, or lazy to service them.
    It is the experienced sailor who does not dream about ocean passages, but makes them.
    These people understand why the engine is started in the engine room, not from the bridge, and why one is not "sufficient" but perfect.
    There are "sailors" who understand "daily routine" as ripping open the beer cans at 6:00pm. I like to build for the others!

Mydauphin,

no offense meant, but this "redundancy" argument is moot. It is a typical chicken argument and never used by experienced people. It is valid for electronics or a rudder tiller, for example, but when one engine fails, the second does so too in almost all cases.

Regards
    Richard

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I wasn't talking engines, I was talking everything else. I agree one good well maintained engine is better than two. I have redundant electrical, air, water, fuel, food, gps, electronics and yes even engines. The reason for two engines for me is boat came that way, and it also gives for less draft.

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Richard now that the style, build material and propulsion is "fine tuned"
    how much fuel will this vessel carry for safe passage making
    I'm just trying to get my head around the needs of the customer
    "experienced couple going for the iron spinnaker' going for the long distance stuff :?:

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Have not got your last sentence Manie, can you give me another formulation?

All three boats should provide trans Pac. range with substantial reserve fuel. That translates into 5000 nM at cruising speed. The "Gentlemans Yacht" for example will have a bunker capacity of about 24.000 Ltr. for 5.500 nM at 8,5 kn or 4.400 nM at 10 kn.

Regards
    Richard

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Richard
    One thing worries me these days with modern diesels and that's the engine control, electronics. with some ship engines now fully electrical with solenoids operating inlet and exhaust valves they need some sophisticated electrical protection and maybe some spares that include the electronic controller.

These days after a fire that damages the electrics it's common for the engine to be disabled along with the rest of the vessel as happened to the antarctic supply ship here. Luckily they had a team of electronics techs aboard who worked with the engineers to emergency re-wire and get the essential systems running, but they came close to losing the vessel.

It's worth electrically isolating the engine room and basic steering systems so they can be run with the rest of the vessel disconnected.

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

I guess thats one more plus for the Grenaa being all mechanical.

9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

24 000 liters fuel
    I wonder if the man in the street really understands how much fuel that is and how big the tank is
    what worries me is how long these boats are going to be around and the feasabilty of these vessels

once again I really enjoy these threads and it is a great learning experience

this is 24 000 liters

Attached Files:

10. pool

pool Junior Member

so true! there is absolutely no justification these days for long range recreational passagemaking under power. A decent motorsailer (if you do not want to go to the "extremes" of a cruising sailboat) will cruise on a fraction of the fuel used by even the most economic motor trawler.

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

There's some threads on this site and others showing that the percieved cost of operating a power only boat over a sailing boat do not really exist when you factor in initial build cost, operating ( you may not motor every day) and the resale where a yacht gets hammered as sails, and rigging gets devalued dramtically and there is no part on a powerboat that gets devalued as much just because it is a few years old.

12. mark775

mark775 Guest

"Justification"? Pool, "Words are wise men's counters, but they are the money of fools". You just overspent. Seperate yourself from the ideology which feels good to regurgitate, and think before opening your pie-hole again.
    SHhh! Think! This is a thread discussion by people that don't share your sentiment.
    This type of vessel needs no justification to the likes of you but a wise fence-rider might consider that one of these vessels may be used to deliver a doctor/nurse medical partnership to third-world trouble spots, or it may be used by an acquaintance of yours to support anti-whaling activities. Use your imagination. Don't even consider "freedom to do what one wants", then "justification" is always at hand.

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If someone has the wherewithall to fill his fuel tank who has the right to say he can't or even should not?
    Freedom means you can move about unimpinged by those who would have you live in the past without modern methods of travel.

Fuel up and see the world!

14. mark775

mark775 Guest

You are up early, Hoyt!

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good morning, Mark. I usually dive in here before going to work.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.