The perfect Passagemaker III, propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 26, 2010.

?

Please pick your poison

1. Trawler: single Mitsubishi

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Trawler: twin Luggers

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Yacht: single Grenaa Diesel

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Yacht: twin Mitsubishi´s

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Yacht: twin Luggers

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I am fine with less accommodation in favour of a large engine room.

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  7. I prefer large accommodation, the engine room is second.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

GM's make great gen sets as they have almost zero droop compared to any other engines

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

I cannot speak for Mydauphin, but sure I am not allowed to install engines which are not compliant. Even the old Grenaa has no problems to fit the actual, and near future regulations.

The GM pigs will not spoil any of my engine rooms btw.

Regards
    Richard

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

So far I can still have whatever I want in my own boat. My old dd's are bullet proof and they are clean... pollution aside. Only have problem with new engines.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Price for rebuilt GM's versus new price and how far do you go on that value of fuel?
    Mr Pascoe always brings this argument up as its a valid one.
    You can also get a GM fixed anywhere in the world, even Japan as Nissan made a 6-71 under licence
    Very easy to silence and very low vibration.
    They were being made for 70 years so there was something going for them
    GM then went on to pioneer Electronic Diesels..even MTU had to buy the technology from GM!

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Most important I can fixed them myself.Nothing weird going on inside and actually very reliable. I know many of these engines on 3 and 4 overhauls, sometimes 10,000 hours between rebuilds.

6. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

If you go slightly bigger dimensions on your passagemakeer you could put an EMD in it and they are Tier 2 compliant!
    ( only wierd thing is EMD is now owned by Cat??)

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

All nice, not all true, and all mute to discuss.

In the vessels we discuss here which are newbuilds, only new engines are allowed, and they have to be compliant as stated before.

MTU btw. did not buy the DDEC technology, they had similar technology already, they bought a competitor! And sold him later due to quality issues.

Regards
    Richard

8. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Seems like Daimler sold Tognum which owned MTU to the Swedish investor EQT.
    EQT's Tognum still owns MTU and Detroit but the on highway and off higway business are split apart

http://www.detroitdiesel.com/
    Copyright © Detroit Diesel Corporation. All rights reserved. Detroit Diesel is a Daimler company.

They must love them they have their own web site
    http://2cycle.mtu-online.com/
    # 3.5 million MTU Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle engines built since 1940
    # Nearly 300,000 still in operation around the world
    # Nearly 1,100 service locations to keep your equipment up and running
    # Over 2,500 factory-trained technicians
    # Replacement parts stocked and ready to cover all your needs
    # A long-term commitment to maintain strong 2-Cycle engine support
    PS they are also still in production for the Military

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

We are a bit off topic here. Yes Daimler sold Detroit. Later Daimler sold MTU to Tognum. I don´t care who owns them today.
    But Damler did not buy the DDEC technology you referred to! They bought Detroit. MTU had already far better and more sophisticated motor management systems including telemetry in these days.

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

The DD where ahead of their time.The Two stroke, modular construction, interchangeable components made them a great design. Somewhere along someone decided not to keep developing them. The DDEC where an attempt at doing it but the fell short. At one point they where owned by Roger Penske and I thought he was going to revive them, but it was easier to switch to 4 stroke.

It is kind of the argument what would rather have a brand new Chevy 350 Fuel injected with all the bells or a simple carburetor . If I am on a island somewhere, I can fix the carburetor and the DD. can fix that common rail Cat.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

The reason why I have choosen the Grenaa, a wrench and a wire and maybe some soap, and she runs again.

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

It seems we have a clear vote for single engine on ocean going vessels of the discussed size.

For me that result is a bit surprising, because it shows there is not so much fear to get lost on the ocean due to engine failure.

Our departements "fancy gimmicks and marketing drivel" always like to draw a different scenario.

But I am happy with the result, it echoes my experience and opinions, and it shows, that skilled boaters have less fears than the average.

13. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

I used to have a small outboard in my boat as back-up propulsion. Last summer I was about to use it in another small boat. It didn't work, and I couldn't repair it on the spot. After that I concluded that any system needs to be maintained and tested/used regularly to be reliable. A spare engine that in most cases isn't ever needed isn't likely to get any attention after a few years. Better to spend the time to keep the main engine well serviced, and to keep some spares for it plus necessary tools. Twin engines is twice the maintenance.

As spare propulsion I believe in oars, paddles and simple sails.

Erik

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Most of my boat time is in single-engine craft, and this is outboards/sterndrives, not the reliable diesels you're talking about.
    The failures I've encountered: Wet fuel (which affects twins just as badly), some carb issues (easily prevented with better maintenance), one failed cooling pump / oil injector / head gasket / block (due to being an early '90s Suzuki) that still let us limp home on one cylinder. My grandfather had an OMC Cobra shear its driveshaft once- twins would have been nice that day- but on the whole I'm not at all uncomfortable with a single, well-maintained engine (and I'm quite uncomfortable with multiple, hard-to-maintain engines).

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

but with the gear that is connected to a 500hp medium speed engine it aint gunna break
    Are deep sea fishing boats dual engined..no

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.