The perfect Passagemaker III, propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 26, 2010.

?

Please pick your poison

1. Trawler: single Mitsubishi

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Trawler: twin Luggers

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Yacht: single Grenaa Diesel

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. Yacht: twin Mitsubishi´s

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Yacht: twin Luggers

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I am fine with less accommodation in favour of a large engine room.

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  7. I prefer large accommodation, the engine room is second.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Flywheel Energy Storage

I might suggest you visit this discussion i started on FLYWHEEL energy storage systems.
    ...and have a look thru some of the latest work by Ricardo.com

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"The entire ship would be powered by only two engines, basically sized to provide:
    1) Full main diesel power, unimpeded by interceding diesel/electric conversion
    2) Slow speed operation and ship’s systems via the smaller diesel/electric unit
    3) ‘Twin power’ emergency backup as either engine can run all gear."

This is Off The Shelf , pure mechanical , no electric required at most breakers yards.

Two 6-71 on a common shaft is std on Navy LST style boats since WWII.

Each engine or both can power the shaft , disconnect either underway if desired.

Must shut down to re engage.

Last I saw (Boats and Harbors ) a US Gov rebuilt package was $6K .

That was (2) 6-71's and the tranny on a pallet ready to ship.

These trannys are cheap and reliable , and would not be bothered with a tiny engine (that would work hard at slow LRC) , and a BIG engine for making waves in front of the Yacht Club.

With a proper selected small engine (good front load ability) both heavy 300A 24V DC charging could be done , as well as run a hyd system .

Docking would be done with the small engine at high RPM to provide bow thruster power.

Both engines would use Hyd pumps for house AC (6KW) power.Underway or anchored.

No dreams of electronic stuff , yet to be made.

The answer to efficiency with any diesel is to load it!!

This lets it happen TODAY.

FF

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I think what will bring about the change is the total emissions from a vessel.
    This could force other systems to exist from heat recovery based turbines or whatever.
    May not be cheaper to build or run bit it will produce less emissions

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Boston, Wardd,

get some sealegs!

FF,

for a boatbuilder these old iron chunks, you love so much, do NOT exist. Don´t you get that? And they are really not economical, they are bloody drinkers.

I am not allowed (and not willing also), to install old scrap in a new yacht!

Ad Hoc,

thank you for chiming in.

It cannot be our intention to complicate systems on a boat capable and designed to travel all year round. Any enrgy storage device comes at big expenses, has to be maintained, and replaced after a while. Usually halfway between Auckland and Ushuaia.
    All nice, all nonsense.

As you have pointed out, nothing beats the old low rev Diesel.
    Combined with a CPP, it is, and will be for long, the most economical and reliable motoryacht propulsion.

Impressive enough, these old monsters are even TIER compliant.

Brian,

kites as a "coming home rigg" have been, and are still, part of my thoughts, you know. They just have to come down in size and cost a bit further.

Regards
    Richard

5. yipster

yipster designer

any opinions on cpp, crp or dual counter rotating props on this passagemaker
    many advantages, on the other hand expensive and complex, like to hear your opinion

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sorry, there are no dual engines, hence no counter rotating props.

The statement that CPP`s are complex and expensive is wrong! They are much simpler, much more reliable, and much lighter than gearboxes.

And on many installations, like these here, they are cheaper also.

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

No Brian, they are alive and well. They are not anymore "old stds" they are quite modern and needed desperately by the tug boat industry all over the world.
    It is the only type of engine who can run nonstop and been easy to overall in situ. they are very versatile. They are also use all over the world as a power plant. Several brand are here for the long time. All are certified in the US.
    They are modern and the heavy casting is a necessity, not an old trend.
    So your hope is answered :)
    Daniel

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

A huge flywheel spinning at phenomenal speeds would have a gyroscopic effect. A gyroscope spinning vertically when subjected to a sharp turn would tend to turn the containment vessel on its beam end. That is not a good thing to happen.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Just forget it.

I love thinking out of the box. In fact, my life was financed that way.

But boat, or ship building, is not dreaming about the possibilities of tomorrow.
    It is about the conditions of today.

Dreamers have never brought the world forward. Doers are the ones.

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

spindizzies can lift entire cities

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Let us play nice.
    Contribute in a sensible manner, ask in a decent way,
    or stay out of here!

drivel I have more than I can bear!

Regards
    Richard

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

for a boatbuilder these old iron chunks, you love so much, do NOT exist. Don´t you get that? And they are really not economical, they are bloody drinkers.

I am not allowed (and not willing also), to install old scrap in a new yacht!

The point is the TRANSMISSION allow what ever is required to hook up two engines to a common shaft.

You get to chose which engines the client is in love with.Electronic nightmares if desired.

IF your rule stuck, these trannys are still being made ,still for the same LST style service, so you can indeed spend $15,000+ of the customers cash for "NEW".

No dual $100,000 electric generation , $50,000 control boxes or Super cooled propulsion system needed.

The twin engine / single shaft setup solves the diesel load problem , NOW , as perhaps a cost of 2% in heating gears and oil.

FF

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

But not the propeller load problem..

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How long do we think the Grenaa ( or any other) medium speed diesel will meet emission regs?

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

Right Teddy.

And why should I solve a problem I don´t have?
    The CPP is the best solution, it loads the engine and the prop. I don´t even think about anything else.

As long as all the others do.

Fred, it may surprise you, but the client does not choose his engines in my boats! He buys what I install, or leaves the yard.
    Such easy is that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.