The perfect Passagemaker? II (building material)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by apex1, Aug 22, 2010.

?

Which material is your choice to build one of the shown boats?

1. Steel

50.8%
  2. Aluminium

27.7%
  3. Classical wooden built

4.6%
  4. Wood Epoxy

9.2%
  5. Fiber / resin composite

7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Is that an aircraft in the first picture?

2. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

You leave!

3. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

The problem with wood core, any heavy impact is transmitted to the inside skin and causing damage there as well.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Regarding to my questions in post #103 . . .

Michael, thanks for your comprehensive answer where to look for threats in a second hand Al boat.

* I've always thought that if all those things Michael mentions were well cared nothing should go wrong with a Al hull, that's why the questions in post #103 *

Teddy, thanks for the tip that electricity leaking neighbors are the greatest threat for an Al boat if there is contact with them. I couldn't figure why you can't leave a Al boat unattended, but that's it, thanks!

* Never thought about the impact of electrical errors made by your neighbors on a mooring . . . . . *

Mark, the aluminium Bristol Bay Gillnetter could be repaired after being crushed by the (much, much bigger ?) Steel Crabber. But could she also survive being moored along sides one and have prolonged electrical contact ? (given that the Steel Crabber can have an electricity leakage)

And last but not least..!!

Richard, thanks for bringing this point up in the old thread! Much to learn here..!!

Thanks Guys...!!!

Cheers,
    Angel

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

W, you can't ask the man to leave his own thread!

6. Angélique

In both pictures! The text above the pictures is related to . . . . the pictures..!!

And especially the first one looks like a plane . . ;)

Cheers,
    Angel

7. gunship

gunship Senior Member

Are you a detective? :eek:

@the pictures: Planes are not in water like boats, and so does not experience the problems with electrolysis. (no complete circuit)

A thought just occurred to me: if you have a steel mooring chain?

8. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

You are right.

9. Angélique

No, was just telling Cthippo that reading a post sometimes will answer questions about it before you ask them . . . .

:( . . but shouldn't say to much about it as I make that fault myself much to often . . :(

But then, hey, I'm not Anglish, I didn't understand . . ;)

Cheers,
    Angel

10. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

OK, my bad :)

I read the text about the boat that got pancaked and the part about about steel falling apart and somehow missed the sentence in the middle.

I think more caffeine is indicated!

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Are we not going off topic here?
    We have planes crashing and electrolysis in marinas.
    Since I understood the perfect passage-maker will be mostly sailing (motoring) the ocean, and mooring in secluded place, and maintained when necessary by commercial or well appointed yards, the electrolysis with neighbor will be not a major problem.
    Daniel

12. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

an Al boat among steel boats ,sounds like a supermodel in a rugby club

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

my whole time here I have looked forward to building in wood and although thats not likely to change ( what can I say I'm a craftsman ) you make an excellent point of aluminum

cheers and best wishes
    maybe someday I will get my *** up to the PNW and I'll get that first round.

B

1 person likes this.
  14. mark775

mark775 Guest

I didn't mean for it to be a distraction. I was just pointing out that aluminum is amazing stuff. I am not an expert on preventing it from corroding or becoming part of a battery but part of what I was pointing out is that the old Marco boats survived fishermen (that's bad!), and they are around steel boats much of the time. I'll not take this tangent any further. Have fun discussing!

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Mark
    you make a frighteningly good case for aluminum

Richard
    thanks for the most excellent threads concerning the aspects of a perfect passage maker
    I apologize for having little to contribute
    but reading along has been most informative
    my experience level is simply not up a level where I might make a truly informed addition to the topic at hand

I only interrupt and make mention of that in the light of certain posts from a particular individual having no clue of the topic at hand yet insisting on foisting there uninformed opinions off on the group and in a most unruly manor. I'd like to apologize for War Whimper and suggest that all simply ignore his input as it has little relevance to the topic at hand and adds nothing to a most excellent and most appreciated thread. I would hate to see anyone bail on the thread because of one particularly irksome posters insistence on randomly insulting all involved

getting back on topic it looks like our preferred material is steel although from a cost analysis point of view I'll need to read back through and see why epoxy impregnated wood is not better from a long term prospective than steel. The cost of repairing wood laminate is bound to be less than of repairing an entire steel panel

cheers
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.