Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Rep: 613 Posts: 362
A little film of an outing in my pedal powered cat, including some underwater footage, which may be of interest:

Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 4
wow thats pretty cool setup and love the underwater view that was pretty shallow at times
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM
American Omnivore

Rep: 2403 Posts: 4,965
Cool vid, Tiny.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:35 PM

Rep: 218 Posts: 922
Interesting video, thanks for posting.

The underwater vids seem to show the props delivering power in pulses according to the pedaling cadence. Maybe the old concept of an elliptical sprocket would make things more efficient, is what I am thinking..

PC
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 14
Hello, if you are aiming at a more continuous thrust, clip pedals are the clue to it. I am very satisfied with having modified one seacycle leg this way. A real improvement concerning efficiency. No more lost power to support the leg's weight, no more risk of a foot slipping off the pedal.
A challenge was to find an easy solution to change to clip pedals - since both pedal arms are threaded the same way.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 AM

Rep: 613 Posts: 362
Thanks, Neonguy and Hoyt!

Porta, I think you're right - it does look that way, and you definitely get the feel of a power stroke and a pause when pedalling.

Hi Clemens! good to hear from you! I have actually put double sided pedals on - plain one sided and clips the other (you can just see the clips in some of the shots if you're quick!) but its rare that we're actually on a long run, or looking for high efficiency - just pootling round the bay here...

This was really just messing about getting to know the little waterproof camera, but the real eye opener for me is the amount of turbulence off the drive legs - it looks like more than from the hulls! I suppose to some extent they are like little tiny hulls pushed way beyond their normal hull speed and generating a load of wave resistance. I wonder if it might be worth fairing them?

I'm seriously considering a complete rebuild from scratch with some simple ply hulls, because the current build is so heavy. with the dart hulls forming keels, and the weight, its extremely difficult to pull up the beach.