Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Boat Design
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM

Rep: 47 Posts: 70
Hello Mike!

I also checked for that form too. I ran Godzilla in order to look for promising forms with the constraint of being a relatively wide and short monohull. Looked a little bit more like a surfboard than a Cadence, but it comes back to nearly 500 Watts.

Here is a picture of my design. It is parabolic/elliptic until about 50%, then straigth/elliptic until short before stern and then elliptically flattens out. Looks a bit like a catamaran hull.

It is only very loosely based on the Godzilla study, as I redesigned it from bottom up, once I knew the direction to go. I improved it for manufacturability and equal pressure rise/drop for the cost of only a few single Watts and due to the straigth part, it can be manufactured for different displacement without additional price now if the negative form allows it.

I put all my time in developing this hull since I stopped the Waveless hull. I stopped it because it was not so easy to board and there was not so much need for a super short boat in the community.

I will try to initiate an Indygogo or Kickstarter campaign to get a styrofoam positive form which I can laminate to and test it in a real tow tank. Right now, it seems to outrun other fast designs by minimum of 15%. The only drawback (there always is one) is a slightly higher drag at 2 m/s speed compared to parabolic boats. At this wattages no one will be sorry.

After restricting length to 5m, minimal radius to 1cm and adding a wavepiercing bow, my final design has 358 Watts (hello olympic hull, only 1 Watt to optimize ). But this design is much easier to handle and a lot stronger (I build things for durability, as I construct car parts in my real job and european cars have to hold for 15 years under stress).

Wish you all a merry christmas and will keep you posted.

Andreas
Attached Thumbnails
Pedal Powered Boats-competition.png  

Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 68
Scheny's boat hull design

Hi Andreas,

Ok, so the next question is how one stays upright with your hull. Do you intend to have outriggers, or possibly dual hulls?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Michael Lampi

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 AM

Rep: 47 Posts: 70
Hello Mike!

It is designed as an "stabilized monohull", like an evolution to Rick Willoughby´s work, but you can theoretically use two of them for a 2 seater cat. I also evaluate using my design for a 1 seater cat, but as it is impossible to get a lot below 450 Watts, I lay emphasis on minimizing the overall dimensions while keeping Watts low.

The other work I am curently on (since three years) is an affordable drive train consisting only of non-corrosive plastic material. The clou is, that design life is in the area of 5000 hours at 580 Watts or nearly unlimited for 150 Watts and replacement parts will be in the area of 15$.

Only drawback is the high rpm in the area of 1200-1600rpm. This helps using smaller props (for lower drafts of 23cm overall) with 88% (competition) or 82% (high thrust & weed shedding) efficiency. For lower rpm the gears would get to big (above 15cm diameter).

Greetings from Austria,
Andreas Schönwälder