payload and deadweight

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by abalkees, Mar 20, 2014.

1. abalkees

abalkees Junior Member

I have a Panamax Tanker has the following parameters:
    L= 202.5
    B=32.25
    T=12.18
    CB=0.8254

so, DWT=67300 tonnes

I am wondering how to estimate the cargo payload of this ship.
    Any help please?

Alaa

2. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The cargo payload should be the DWT less fuel, lube oil, fresh water for crew, crew and effects, stores, and anything else which is not cargo and is not part of the light ship weight.

From your post, it's not clear what other information you have about this vessel except for the main particulars.

The deadweight tonnage (DWT) should be the difference between the displacement of the vessel at the summer load line and the lightship weight of the vessel. Using your numbers, your figure of 67,300 tonnes is not the DWT but the displacement at a draft of 12.18 meters.

1 person likes this.
  3. abalkees

abalkees Junior Member

thx NavalSArtichoke,

yes you are right it is the displacement.
    I calculated the DWT and it is about 54000 tonnes.

Unfortunately I do not have more information about the design. What are the details I want to estimate the payload?

thx

4. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The cargo payload should be the DWT less fuel, lube oil, fresh water for crew, crew and effects, stores, and anything else which is not cargo and is not part of the light ship weight.

In the absence of any details about this vessel, you might want to look at similar sized vessels for which more information is available. At one time, periodicals like The Motor Ship and others published details about new vessels coming into service. Some vessel owners keep fleet details online so that potential customers can shop for the right vessel to carry a cargo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.