Paul Whiting Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by prbaker, Feb 28, 2005.

1. prbaker

prbaker New Member

I am an owner of a whiting 36 keel boat, just chasing any useful information on the configuration / sailing of these boats. The boat has a fractional rig with swept back spreaders and non essential running back stays. The keel has been extended 450mm but still heels over a lot. This boat loves to sail flat and we are constantly playing with sail configurations. Any other owners out there with some handy tips - sails, sailing angles, boat speed targets, VMG targets would be great.

2. Romain M

Romain M New Member

Hi Paul, did you find any info. I have recently bought a whiting 36 too

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

They do look like very nice sailing yachts - I had not heard about them before until I read your post, and then did some googling.
    Here is one for sale in Victoria -
    Used Whiting 36 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/whiting-36/254189

And another, this time in Auckland -
    Used Whiting 36 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/whiting-36/271889

@Romain M welcome to the forum - @prbaker posted his questions 17 years ago now, but maybe he is still checking in here, or maybe there are other Whiting 36 owners on here.

4. CT249

CT249 Senior Member

There are one or two Whiting 36s that have been measured for ORC. Buying a copy of the certificate for about $50AU will give you a ballpark set of VPP figures. I'm not sure how accurate the current VPPs are but someone like your sailmaker may be able to tell you.

Google Offshore Racing Congress and you'll see a link to how to buy certificates.

bajansailor likes this.
  5. Romain M

Romain M New Member

Thank you for all your kind replies. @CT249 what does VPP mean?

6. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

Just a guess about these boats, but looking at the picture in the ad linked to by bajansailor, you want flatter cut sails and keep them new. That should help reduce heeling.

7. Romain M

Romain M New Member

Thanks Will!

8. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Will Gilmore likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.