Panga stern

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by OBXER, Dec 9, 2005.

1. OBXER

OBXER New Member

Currently I have a 22' panga that I use in FL. I am looking for a 26 footer to use here in NC. I have found two. One has a regular plumb stern. The other (which is still in the mold stage) has a "kicked up" stern. This has raised some questions and has led me to this forum of learned gentlemen. What is a kicked up stern called? What is it's function? Does it encourage porpoising? My 22 has a kicked up stern and wants to porpoise when gets to about 30 mph.

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "kicked up stern". Are you talking about the transom or the hull bottom?

There's a whole discussion thread regarding porpoising and its causes that's been pretty active. Do a search here and you'll find it quickly.

3. OBXER

OBXER New Member

A panga's stern has about 18" of flat in the middle and then angles up to the chine as viewed from the stern. Looking at it from the side the stern comes down to a little below the waterline then angles down and toward the bow at about 45 degrees until it intersects the boat bottom.

4. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Got it. Not sure what it's called, but I believe its function is to help protect your running gear. The cavitation plate on your outboad would be at about the chine at the bottom of the transom which means the prop and skeg would be protected by the hull bottom/keel forward of it. My guess anyway - make sense?

5. OBXER

OBXER New Member

Deering, it does get the prop up higher and lets me run shallower. It probobly helps in a following sea as well. What I'm really currious about is the porpoising. It seems to me that it lends to a lack of resistance to the stern going down when the bow goes up but then reading the recent thread on porpoising it seems moving the engine weight aft(which this in a way does) would tend to dampen the pitching- plus I have a 6" setback jackplate.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.