panga 22

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by captain gary, May 23, 2004.

1. captain gary

captain gary New Member

what can i do to keep water from entering scuppers??? i want to keep it self bailing. its a new hull good sales person talked me into the boat.now while trying to rig it i have leaned that water will enter thru scuppers with any wieght on her stern.do i need to accept the loss and move on with a proven hull or can i salvage my mistake??

2. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

How bad is the water?? Is it just a little or alot??

3. ecrooks4

ecrooks4 New Member

I was thinking of this hull what other problems are you having?

4. Boat Builder, Sacramento

A Florida outfit that seems to have registered "Panga" as a trademark is this the boat you have in mind? The design is built all over Mexico and for rather less than "Panga TM Florida" seems to have posted. As a planing hull it does have limitations in foul weather, not the least of which includes getting pooped. When the weather gets bad in Mexico, the pangas go home. If you look at Scandanavian, Dutch or Northern English designs, ( say a Cobble) the boats are far more seaworthy but quite a bit slower. Boat design is all about trade offs. OK, here's the good news. With Urethane ( the yellow/brown rigid foam usually used for insulation) Epoxy and fiberglass (I prefer the cheapest woven roving) your Panga (TM or otherwise) can be modified in any number of ways to resist taking on water. And, yes, it could be made self bailing. It might cost about $800. (depending on what degree of finish you want) but then you would have a boat truly tailored to your needs. ( Also, let Panga TM Florida know (for their web site) that "a lot" is two words and not spelled "allot". ) Ricardo V.

5. Pat

Pat Guest

Panga 28

Does anyone know anything about the Panga 28ft manufactured in Florida. I was looking at getting a boat and I am interested in this one and also the Dorado 30 (much more expensive and drafts deeper). I need a boat that can hammer out the seas of the Gulf of Mexico on a bad day and also run me through the bay in fairly shallow water. Any boats in mind? I am looking for quality low cost?

6. sugaloafer

sugaloafer New Member

capt. gary, don't confuse the boat sold by the guys in Sarasota(cheap Mexican knock off) with the boats by http://www.panga.com out of Miami. The Miami boats are self bailing have splash wells, etc.... I just read a review in the Miami Herald on the Panga 28 which was extremely positive.

7. dougnan88

dougnan88 New Member

I too have been looking into buying a Panga but have found some limitations to the design. The gunwales are too low for one thing and while I understand that the narrow beam allows greater performance on less HP I would rather have a bit more beam. I think the best compromise for shallow draft, and some performance in weather, with good economy is a V dory. A classic flat bottom dory hull with some V in the bow seems to be what I need down here in Charlotte harbor. If I could find a C Dory in an open center console then that would be the boat for me. Check out: http://www.c-dory.com A 22 footer with 8" of draft that performs well on 90 hp, sign me up! Regards, Doug Lee Punta Gorda, FL

8. 10harmsway

10harmsway New Member

Which Florida Panga 22?

Anybody got the real scoop on the best Panga 22 for sale in Florida? I know of Panga, Inc. (Miami) amd Panga Marine (Sarrasota).

9. captfortune

captfortune New Member

Panga

capt gary,Im concidering buying a panga and was wondering which panga you bought ?And Any other problems you have had with it? Thanks Mark

10. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

check valve on the scuppers

There is a fairly common check valve for scuppers that is sold in most chandleries. It is a "sock valve" consisting of a rubber sleeve that has been flattened. If the water in the hull has some inertia and the hull moves- the water can run out the sleeve, but return water collapses the sleeve to keep it from coming back in the scupper. This type of 'check valve' for the deck might help solve the problem if the waterline isn't a foot above the deck?

http://www.aircommander.com/scupper_kits.html
    www.skisurfing.com/catalog/ product_info.php/products_id/217
    http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/ATT/ATT665533.html
    just a few ideas

cheers,
    kmorin

11. im412

im412 Junior Member

yamaha design ub580

i have a small 19' panga aussie made on the yamaha design to survey 2c,we call then longboats or banana boat, it looks like the panga.com is the yamaha design too

edit: i found at the panga site the new '06 model 22 looks nothing like the yamaha

i have 2 large venturi type scuppers on either side of the boat, not the transom as that is enclosed with a hatched bulkhead
    i have the same thing with mine at rest, water can enter...if needed it will also let water out

it is a nuisance not a safety issue, they are built as a wet deck, i havent seen this advertised, which is a shame
    the benefits of the boats design far out weighs this maybe perceived negative

i also have internal screw in bungs to seal the scuppers
    i leave the side bungs in most of the time while at rest and underway and only take them out in heavy weather enabling the venturi scuppers to be functional when heavily loaded at displacement speed
    when on the plane the scuppers are well above water level

they are a very seaworthy commercial Japanese longline/netting boat,
    most major criticism come from other boat representatives or not comparing boats of the same hull length

from the net and forums, like me, most owners seem to be happy with them
    jack

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  12. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Is this STYLE of boat a thing to be approached very carefully or not. It is made everywhere in the world by everybody using any standards. CAREFULL!!

13. im412

im412 Junior Member

cyclops..you raise a very valid point...backyard copy builders and bad manufactuers
    but im well off topic now
    i can only speak for the recently aussie made yamaha design which was commisioned by the world bank 35 years ago and i believe licensed world wide
    http://www.fishvictoria.com/pnewgear/south/south.php
    i think the survey standard of 2c is universal or equivalents of....i wouldnt buy a boat that didn't conform. this includes the so called popular family boats, which here, most dont conform to survey 2c

... imho there's nothing wrong with scuppers and a wet deck that galoshes wont fix :)
    or leave the scuppers closed put a decent bilge pump on the deck

cheers jack

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.