Palace 80 by BTG YACHT DESIGN

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BTG YACHT DSGN, Oct 29, 2008.

1. BTG YACHT DSGN

BTG YACHT DSGN -sailing is believing-

Palace 80 is a model Radio controlled yacht of Lenght Overall of 0.8 m, with a hull made of carbon fibres. The prototype of this model is currently beeing under construction. I want to start a new "Palace 80" one-design model yacht class from a scratch. I know I'll have hard time, but...:cool:

Can you give me some opinion about this design, ie is the prismatic coefficient not to large, or the keel too small etc?

I'd be very grateful for your attention.

Jakub Batog BTG YACHT DESIGN

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

For a new one design to succeed it must offer something better than all the already existing and proven one design model classes.

I would suggest making the hull one design and making the rig open. (much like the ever popular C class cats) This would make the class popular as most model boaters like to tinker, as well as making it a great instrument for advances in rigs for all boats.

As far as your design goes there are a number of improvements that i think could be made for truly impressive performance.
    I have designed and built over thirty models and they would function up to twenty knots of wind, so i'm surprised to see your limit at 8 knots. This limit would put a lot of potential users off, i think.

3. rose143aru

rose143aru New Member

I have builded one ship and had issues in the stability. I have out my fault after the discussion s in the thread.....Lot to see more discussions.. thanks...
    =====================================================
    Link Building

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Jakub; For more input on your design, log on to RCsailing.com. There are forums there that are conducted by model yachters. They are usually quite helpful. Also look into the American Model Yacht association website. There are numerous other model yachting sites around the world. The Aussies and New Zealanders appear to be very active in these matters. The British, too, are avid modelers and some of them are very accomplished designers who seem only too glad to share information.

As for a new class, I agree with Tcubed in that your model must have some advantage over the myriad other classes that already exist. I admire your enthusiasm and wish you success.

5. BTG YACHT DSGN

so the data of the boat shows that she won't be competitive to the other one designs? That's what you're trying to say? What in your opinion can be changed?

Thanks for any feedback ;)

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Depends on what you mean by the word "competitive". If you mean speed in a straight line or around the bouys, then longer boats will almost surely be quicker. It is unlikely that your 0.8 meter model can approach the likes of an IOM (one meter long) and surely not as fast as a Marblehead (1.27 meters long)

Performance is not everything, however. There are numerous classes that are less than one meter in length and many of them enjoy substantial popularity. Smaller boats are favored for ease of transport and minimal storage space. There is a fairly new class, the RG65, that is becoming very popular throughout Europe and some in the US. It is only about 0.65 m in length. Consider the footy class, a wildly popular mini boat that has worldwide enthusiasm. It is only a foot long (about 30cm). Neither of these classes has a chance at speeds to compare with larger boats. Very popular nonetheless. Those are only two examples of small boats that are successful.

7. BTG YACHT DSGN

yes, I comletely agree, even the theorethical max speed formula given by Froude expresses speed as a subract of the left, almost proportional. But maybe you have some ideas how to make this boa quicker?, what changes should be than that I've maybe skipped during the design process, that would provide the boat will have better performance. Any ideas??:)

8. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

If i were to design a new one design 80 cM model class, i would make sure that it is quite different to the rest and has better performance.

So i would design a hull which can plane at all angles to the wind, provided there is enough wind, and that has good performance in light wind too. This means you could compete against bigger heavier boats, which are limited by their hull speed, and create a lot of popularity.

I would trim the displacement way down for this. This also has the advantage of making for less sail area much lower down so the handling is much better. The waterlines i would make much narrower and put in huge flare so when heeled it can plane on its side, but have much less wetted surface when not so heeled. Also i would increase the draft a fair bit but keep the same ballast ratio. (my most succesful model had a ballast ratio higher than 90% but it did not have r/c) I would definitlely keep the rig completely open so people can experiment and find what works best. Also i would make sure the design is a compromise between fresh and salt water, not just for freash water. There are some other things too but i'll save that for later.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.