Pacific Rowboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Eric Sponberg, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I can't seem to lose weight going to the gym, probably because its too easy to quit out of boredom..... if there aren't lots of hot chicks around.

Your figures inspire me to due to wilderness hiking, now that I've got some time off.

As far as the boat design, I'd consider making the sleeping location the best riding and most comfortable location on the boat. I hear forward Vee berths are only good for crew, children or overnights at the marina. Physical exhaustion AND sleep exhaustion sound like a trip ender.

Maybe a hammock option. Maybe with bungi-cords to limit the swing. I could imagine how one sort of wave action might be OK with one sleeping arrangement but nothing but trouble with another. Sounds like something that needs some real world testing.

Seems like the boat is carrying a lot of extra weight as ballast and keel, and lots of surface area of a big keel. I'd try to use the batteries as ballast in a box keel.

To prevent getting tossed about and hitting head on the hard top, consider making the sliding seat locked in the track and including a seat belt of sorts. The first thing anyone who knows anything about performance driving will teach you is you need to anchor at least your pelvis securely the seat with a fixed seatbelt, not the factory self retractors. I think in stormy weather a seatbelt on a sliding seat rower might do wonders, because the rower wont need to use so much energy, and attention, to keep on the seat. Big part of why cyclists use rat-traps on the feet isn't just so they can pull up, but just so they don't need to use lots of energy keeping feet on the pedals.

Is FISHING ALLOWED to extend food supplies? I always wondered why fishing wasn't a big part of long voyages in olden times, but till steam and even up till stocks got depleted. I've been told things like "them men'o'wars where there to fight, not fish" but also seems they'd spend long periods on station with little to do.

2. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

This is the first time I've had a chance to review Eric's ocean rowboat design. I really like the design approach and admire the notion of a larger keel for better tracking. Any improvement on tracking and riding out the waves will be a big help. The only concern is the overall height, which may be inviting for crosswinds and make steering difficult. That's the nature of ocean rowing & paddling though. Winds, storms and tides can pull you miles off course. You've got to roll with the punches. I recall Alek's recent journey across the Atlantic. That man has some serious power and strength.

I've done a couple of long ultra marathons in big racing canoes and can vouch on the amount of calories burned. I easily burned 10,000 calories every 24 hours. For a longer journey like this you've got to scale back the pace, protect your muscles (must allow them to recover) and generally worry more about getting there in one piece than setting a record. Any of a multitude of things can take you out out of the event. It's impossible to predict where that weak link will be. Good training is key to success and I hope the sea trials go well.

Beyond this, it takes sound mental fitness, physical endurance and a knowledge of how to precisely fuel your body to perform such human powered activities day after day.

3. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Besides keep the boat from falling apart?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

News reports say that Englishman John Beeden is approaching landfall near Cairns, in his trans-Pacific solo rowing adventure. He was 150km away a short time ago, and has the Great Barrier Reef to traverse, in difficult monsoonal conditions, with a possible cyclone brewing. Seemingly he is behind schedule, you would not plan to be in the area at this time of year when cyclones are likely.

5. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

yeah, but even so. I hear they'd over-crew the ships so they'd still have enough to be 'fully manned' even after horrific loses after being raked a few times by the enemy. sounds like they had about square meter per crew of living space and how many times can you mop a deck each day?

6. Mr Efficiency

If I remember correctly, the Kon-Tiki rafters had a plentiful supply of Dorado ( Mahi-Mahi) during their long journey, it would have been an effective FAD (fish attraction device) for small bait fish, and the predators of them. Floating debris in warmer waters is a magnet for some species, including Cobia.

7. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

:p

As many times as the crew relieves themselves.

8. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Excellent post Joseph and the above comment is spot on - especially the mental side.

9. Mr Efficiency

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Let us know how it goes, Mr E. I get nothing on google about the attempt.

11. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

It's about time I chimed in--thank you for all your comments. We are aware of Mr. Beeden's effort as he approaches the Great Barrier Reef, truly a monumental effort in a small boat, and we wish him luck on completing his voyage. I think regardless if he makes it or not, Jacob will continue with his effort as his route is considerably longer that Beeden's, starting from Port Townsend, WA, instead of San Francisco.

We are aware of the nutritional requirements for Jacob Hendrickson and that he will have to get up to speed on living on the boat and rowing, and see what is needed. You can't know until you try. I think we have more than enough space on board to carry the food that he will need. We also have more physical protection for him inside and out so that he is comfortable at all times. Yes, he will try to fish while underway--we have planned for rod holders on either gunwale to trail fishing lines.

It looks like current developments are to start building the boat in the Pacific Northwest within the next few months. Jacob hasn't posted any news lately as he has been trying to raise more money for the project through employment. I'll report what I can.

Eric

12. Mr Efficiency

News media have been very quiet about this in the last 24 hours, the cyclone feared likely to develop has not as yet, but still could in the coming days. He would be experiencing monsoonal conditions as he approaches the reef, sounds like an exacting task in heavy weather to find an entrance without being pushed onto the reef.

13. Mr Efficiency

Beeden has arrived safely at Cairns this morning, Australian time, according to a news report. I reckon he'll stop rocking after a couple of weeks on terra firma.

14. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I have just heard from Jacob Hendrickson that he has signed a construction contract for building the Pacific Rowboat with Schooner Creek Boatworks in Portland, OR. Steve Rander will be handling construction, and they may do the whole boat in carbon fiber rather than fiberglass. More news will follow in due course.

Also, I have written a Design Brief article on the Pacific Rowboat for Professional Boatbuilder magazine that will appear in the April/May issue according to the current schedule.

Eric

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Great thread - Eric I absolutely enjoy your reasoning and thinking.
    Thanks, it is of great value and inspiration to me.
    Manie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.