In over my head!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MLR, Nov 17, 2013.

1. MLR

MLR New Member

Jumped into this both feet first and I'm in deep!

[​IMG]

This will be my first restoration project, so I am looking forward to learning quite a bit. I'm comfortable with the mechanical and electrical systems, but not so much with interior work.

Most of the interior was pulled when I picked it up and the headliner was put back in. And the windows were removed, rebedded and the interior window frame redone - exterior still needs to be finished. That is about as far as prior owner made it.

I'm scratching my head on material selection for the interior. Most of the original looks like it was luan plywood up against the interior glass either finished with a wood panel laminate, carpet or paint. Trying to see what else is out there to give it an updated look.

Here is a look on the inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to hearing thoughts/ideas/resources/ etc.

2. MLR

MLR New Member

Some more pics. She is currently under the wrap with a small zipper door so not easy to get large pieces in and out over winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Beautiful Boat. Huge Balls. Something like this you might bring in a professional restoration guy in for a few hours to help prioritize and get a game plan together. He will see things that you might omit in photographs looking for feedback..

1 person likes this.
  4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Is the structure sound ? stingers, bilge area, blisters on hull, delimitation etc ?
    The guides provided by west system is a good all round read for repair and restoration ...
    http://www.westsystem.com/ss/boat-repair/

and some links to help (might be a good idea to do some google search)
    http://www.woodenboatrepair.com
    http://www.docksidereports.com/fundamentals_of_restoration_proj.htm

Not sure on choices and looks though .. most of the boats i have seen are wood boats with finish plywood (Marine grade is too expensive in Egypt).

What model / brand is it ? You could find similar ones for sale to get an idea on how it originally looked like
    Hope some of the more experienced members can help out !

Lovely boat btw :D

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

On a purchase of that size, having a certified survey is the only real option. Since you own it, now would be the time to hire a professional and see what type of issues you'll be facing. A good surveyor will also offer a suggested plan of attack, for these issues.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.