Outboard powered trimaran.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Aug 14, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

A number of years ago I came up with the idea of an outboard powered trimaran for buzzing around places like Puget Sound. Something so easily driven that it could reach respectable speeds with just a 25 horse outboard. Possibly tortured plywood construction. Anybody know of such a design in anyones portfolio?

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

This is the kind of design you are looking for:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20030820-NEWS-308209978

I met Beckett, from the article one fall anchored right outside his home. He came out to say hi and invited my wife and I up for dinner. He was a very nice guy who even offered us some firewood (we had a wood stove aboard our cat).

[​IMG]

3. river runner

river runner baker

I'm familiar with Dick Newick's work. That is pretty close, but I'd want a bit wider stance for the bigger waters of the sound. Put the amas a bit farther out and it would be pretty near there.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

In Professional Boatbuilder magazine a few issues ago there was a great story on Russell Brown (Jim Browns son) and a very nice proa power boat he designed for a guy that lived on an island. He also I believe designed a kit powerboat called the PT Cruiser.

Why make 3 hulls when you may only need 2?

Steve

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Russell Brown in Port Townsend, Washington has designed and built two boats which might be of interest to you. One is a 22' proa powered by a 20 HP outboard, built of plywood. Top speed is 18 knots, and load capacity is 1500 lbs.

The second is the PodCat. It has two hulls from a wood Tornado catamaran, and an elevated center passenger carrying pod which is plywood sheathed in fiberglass. Power is 15 HP outboard. He's used it to commute between Port Townsend and Anacortes with fuel consumption of 1 gal/hr at 15 knots and 1/2 gal/hr at 12 knots.

The April/May 2011 issue of Professional Boatbuilder has an article about Brown with photos of both boats. He builds and sells kits as PT Watercraft and you should be able to contact him there. http://www.ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/Contact.html

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I think the trimaran photo shows the problem common to all trimarans. Coming alongside safely and then getting on/off the boat is much harder than on a monohull or catamaran. Aggravated by the fact that most powered trimarans have very small outriggers

As I always say, one major test of any boat is "Can my mother get on board"

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.