opinions please

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dean Smith, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

I made many with the straight and rising sheer, times move on
    Should I go the second way?my plans are to cover the coaming(alu) with highly polished mahogony, just to make the boat more attractive to a wider market.
    I am just roughing out the cabin profile
    Boat was successful with volvo diesels on jack shaft and or outboard on pod

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Dean my personal choice would be the curved sheer over the straight, even though both sheer lines have a purposeful shape I think the curved sheer has a more interesting all-round look as a 3d curved shape as you move around the boat and as it is moving through the water.

Attached Files:

3. Dean Smith

yes and the fore part of the cabin trunk may be lower too
    Pity in Au you are limited to tow beam In NZ you can tow any width now with permit which is very easy to get.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A sheer drawn as a straight line will appear hogged in reality. Even boats that have what appears to be a dead straight sheer have some sweep to prevent this optical illusion. Most folks elect to go to one side or the other of the straight line sheer, exaggerate the traditional sweep, even if it's a flattish thing or reverse it. Reverse sheer is very difficult to draw well and make it look good in reality at all angles.

5. Dean Smith

true especially since puter dwg came in.In our day:)) you took the plan, in profile and squinted down the sheerline
    there are some really bad sheerlines around, a lot to be said IMO for the long loft

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.