One Man Trawler...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

Lets have some ideas and illustrations or doodles for a one man backyard coastal trawler - I know it has been done to death a bit - I know trawler is a very broad marketing word these days - but what thoughts...
    I am thinking Matt Layden Paradox with forward raking glass - no sails other than steady or get home...
    And get this - 14 to 16 feet LOA - some Vee maybe - some keel for anti roll and tracking - or other - enough length to beam that it will not hobby horse you to death...
    Standing headroom is great - sitting for a 6 and a half footer plus 3 more is minimal out of weather...
    Anyway - throwing it into the wind - like rice at an ugly brides eye balls...:)

SH.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Norwegian type "sjark" in small sizes fits into concept somehow.Here older one with round bilges and newer type with semiplaning V-bottom.

Attached Files:

3. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Phil Bolger did a design for a one-man displacement hill trawler a while back -- 25'6L x 7'9B x 2'3D, diesel-powered and trailerable; at least one was built in Montana, towed to Puget Sound, and cruised up the Inside Passage. I know that there are several semi-planing hulls called trawlers that size and smaller, but it seems most lack adequate accomodations and/or seaworthiness.

4. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

5. newinertia

newinertia Previous Member

one man trawler

Sean- How about this drawing- Matt Laydens big cruiser, but with your cabin from minitug, again, STEEL construction, flat bottom for beaching. I know the general concensus is that steel is too heavy, but all designs in this size range end up with a large amount of ballast to make them ride better or to trim them out, why not build that wanted weight into the hull and make it so strong you dont ever have to worry about hitting that reef or submerged shipping container- I say build in all the crash worthiness you could ever need, we are talking hull speed only anyway.... and the money you save on aluminum will get you a free trailer!
    Skip

Attached Files:

6. newinertia

One Man Trawler

By keeping everything very utilitarian and a good cargo capacity, you could make a meager living transporting goods to remote locations or as a hunting guide camp support vessel. build the hatches and cabin to clamp shut to the point of being able to take any sea state, possibly even put in 5 point racing harnesses so when you flip over then right again you dont break bones, you just scream with excitement, like on a rollercoaster, and you would have complete confidence in the integrity of your little ship! That is the type of ruggedness I want! I know you want a design that is 14-16 ft. so just make it scaleable in Rhino- Remember the African Queen, Humphrey Bogart was free to live the life he wanted because of the boat he owned, as long as there is ample rum supply- no matter how sauced you get, the boat will get you thru whatever challenge. I just did some quick calculations, the wt. with 3/16 bottom, and 1/8 everywhere else, even bulkheads- drumroll please...... 2960# that is well within the design limits.

Attached Files:

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

as for no reverse

devise a v-belt drive and you could have a reverse, just make sure one side can be opened to change broken belts

8. newinertia

How about Aft Pilothouse

The hull is 7' wide so you could sleep sideways just aft of cargo hold.

Attached Files:

9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

life is a cartoon when you sleep across a boat

10. flathead65

flathead65 Jeff Thompson

I would like to re open discussion on Matt Layden's Big Cruiser design. I have spent a lot of time looking for my ideal boat and the search is finally over. This is exactly what I want for coast wise cruising in B.C. I will build in steel as I am a metal fabricator/ welder by trade and calculated at 2960# the steel cost at $1.40/lb. works out to $4144.00. I have the shop and equipment on my property to build this boat and can easily tow it with my half ton truck rated at 5000# tow capacity. What a great design.I like newinertia's inboard version with the cabin going all the way aft.I would also like to make the cargo hold a forward berth and somehow work in a head.
    If there are any plans available please make me aware or if someone would like to work with me detailing the build in steel please feel free to pm me. I would like to get the ball rolling. I don't see this taking a great deal of time to build as my two previous aluminum hulls took about a month each and were probably about the same amount of labour.
    Thanks.

11. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

flathead65, I'm sure I can help and I'd do. e.mail me if you think appropriate: 657677483@orange.es

12. flathead65

flathead65 Jeff Thompson

Thank you. pm sent.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sean's original idea was a personal trawler, say about 16', with standing headroom. If you draw up a generous 16' boat of any shape or configuration, you'll quickly find standing headroom is all but imposable, unless ugly is what you're after. Many have tried, with all the Bolger fans and offshoots, most have shown where the "U" in ugly comes from.

Matt's idea with his 21' boat has some promise, but the Newinteria's drawings are not possible or practical, clearly showing he's got zero experience with actual yacht construction. For example, the two covered cockpit/wheelhouse versions, so how do you suppose the skipper get into this space, after casting off a dock line? I guess he has to climb down a ladder? Really, on a 21' boat. Over sights like this show novice designer's abilities every time.

Flathead, TANZL will do a good job for you, give him a try.

14. flathead65

flathead65 Jeff Thompson

Thanks Par. The wheelhouse entrance is puzzling at this point. Quick access to the helm is important. Any suggestions? If I have to I will forego the forward slanted windshield and substitute it for a plumb 3 piece hinged center section with a top hatch for fast access. I have decided the mid cabin inboard version is the most practical as fuel and engine are using up the space aft. I should mention though, the engine I am using is small (just over 12" square/ 60 lbs and surprisingly powerful 20hp @3600 rpm) so it doesn't take up a lot of space. An enclosed wheelhouse is a necessity in the P.N.W. 21 ft loa is the target. Rest assured,this boat will get built.

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.