One man fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mountain man, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Not a bad idea at all but get your sister to give you a smack up side your head anyway!

-Tom

2. Mountain man

Mountain man Junior Member

New Question

So I still cant find my camera cable, so i snapped a couple pics with my phone. The last is a fortune from my Chinese food last week. I think someone at my local Home Depot went crazy with the price stickers 1/4" ply was almost twice the price of 3/8" ply. I don't know if it's because Calgary is dry but all of the 1x material were hockey sticks, so I had to make do with what I could get.

But, to my question. I am ready to build my oar locks. How do I calculate where to put them in relation to my seat?

Attached Files:

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Rowlocks should be about a foot astern of the thwart or seat. Height is governed seat height, by oar length and personal dimensions and preference, but high enough that you can sit comfortably and still raise the oars a little above the horizontal position without hitting your knees.

4. Mountain man

Mountain man Junior Member

Hello all, this post has been long over due. I took my little boat out on the water, back in the end of October on Glenmore Reservoir here in Calgary. It was quite easy to row, slipping threw the water leaving almost no wake. *Though I will want to find some quieter oarlocks.*
    I found with me so close to the back and no weight on the front, the front edge of the boat was just touching the water and the back was 1/2 submerged. But with all my fishing stuff and a cooler full of snacks it should level out, hopefully without adding too much more drag.*
    I am now trying to design a seat that I can store my fishing and boating stuff.*

Thanks for all your help. MM

5. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Has anyone ever tried substituting plain cotton cloth for fiberglass cloth?

What about just plain cotton, pulled over a lightweight wood frame, then spray a mist coat of epoxy, then just more coats to build thickness?

Any reason why it wouldnt work?
    Sorta like they built the original airplanes, painted canvas?

You know the corrugated plastic sandwiched between two thin aluminum sheets is some awesome stuff. I had some stuff once called Aluma-lite that was just yard-sign material as core between aluminum. No reason you couldn't make it. Would make an excellent super-light deck. Stuff is indestructible, and strong.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.