Ok complete change of plan

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ah but the drive system Fanny and I discussed deals with both the alignment issues and the thrust issues. At 70 hp a Harley belt drive will work just fine and the thrust is against a plate which is directly attached to the hull. Whole thing is designed to flip up should I ever run into anything with it. Belt looses contact as the unit flips up and over an obstacle so your not grinding your prop into whatever it is and does not make contact again until the unit is completely back into its original position. That way the thing just gently falls back into position and reengages.

I'm still debating if its worth the trouble to design and build it but it would eliminate all of the special needs you are referring to except one that we have yet to touch on which is the replacement issue. The John Deere marine engines have this really slick wet cylinder lining that can be replaced without removing the engine. Basically you can rebuild the engine in place as long as you dont need a line bore. Pretty sly if you ask me cause that would come in dam handy for a do it yourselfer.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Boston,
    I had a Perkins w "wet" sleeves that were showing signs of leaking. For that and mostly other reasons I re-powered. By the time you wear out any marine engine You'll probably want to re-power. I think you'd be better off worrying about the national debt than how easy it will be to rebuild your boat engine.

Easy Rider

1 person likes this.
  3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

lmoa
    ok I got a bang out of that one

hmm
    Im thinking of pretty much exploring so this engine will be running quite a bit
    I guided in Yellowstone for years and am just not a sedentary person so doing fishing guides up there or maybe small sightseeing tours is right up my ally
    thing is I dont want to have to buy a new five or six thousand dollar engine every few years

4. masalai

masalai masalai

A new one will be more economical than someone else's reject (and why did they decide to get rid of it?)...

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well I've pretty much decided to go with a new or factory rebuild. Used just doesn't make sense.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Stranger,
    How are things going? - Nearly ready to start your build ?

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well I still need to work out some of the mechanical and then plot those items within the build and make sure we have proper weight distribution. The new job is keeping me busy and I'm just banking for the build at the moment. Things are moving forward though and I think I've picked a good design for the area. Took me a while but I'm comfortable with the decision so its on to the next set of decisions.

cheers
    B

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Good on you sir, Keep at it... I am nearing completion on my build... Hopefully soon after my fractured hip is fully recovered...

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ähh,

there was another thread where I had to ask:

why the hell are you trying to complicate even the simpliest setups on boats?

Belt drive? are you nuts?
    Tranny?

SAE 1 or 2 is your engine bell house, so you have a velvet or twin disc, Amen! (the latter the better)
    Get it for free at any marina between here and Thursday the 25th of March 1455 AD.

The 4045 Deeres fall from the roofs and hurt you, if you don´t care.

If you have to pay more than 2000 for the entire Drama you are the dumbest dumbnickel on the board.. they should paint and deliver it at that tariff.

Boston,

you should get into your shoes as soon as possible.

No, no, I remember you once told me that you have more patience than I have.

That is not the issue.

You change your plans 500 times while we are still at the first thought, and you will not keep up with your doubts.
    When all of them are gone, my grandchildren watch you building a boat. And that will never be finished, because your "knowledge" has improved since laying the keel.

Hell and heaven,

thousands of boats are out there, right where you are planning to cruise.
    Find the one owner with the two feathers at the hat, he will give it to you.
    In my village there are arriving two of them every day at the main station, I don´t have the patience to wait for them. And I don´t want their boats.
    Start building / buying your dream,

do it now.

When you have figured it all out, you will (no doubt possible) leave it.

Regards
    Richard

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok so if I'm interpreting that correctly what your saying is just buy a fuckin transmission and bolt the ******* onto a marine diesel

LMAO just seems to simple
    what if I hit something

Mark said there is some great stuffing these days and Mas wants me to spend 30k on just the engines

whole thing is driving me nuts
    my only peace in he whole adventure is looking at the picture on the Atkins site of the boat

deal is I could spring for the wood and start now but without knowing what the mechanical is I'd be remodeling before its all over and I just hate that

cant tell you how many houses I've built for folks who cant read the prints and want everything changed once they "see" it
    Im determined to work out every detail before I start and then just build it once no changes

anyway
    thanks for the advice

what I'm hearing is just buy a normal drive system
    the trany is about 2k

ok so what I need to do is call John queer and get a quote on an engine and custom trany 2:1 single speed with reverse for a 15,000 load 4045 engine

cheers
    B

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Go for it....

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Apex1,
    There's two kinds of people. J types and P types.
    The J types like decisions to be made. If you date a J you should tell her everything you can about where your'e going to go, what time everything will take place, what to wear ect ect.
    If youv'e got a P type date ..tell her nothing if you can. The more you tell her the more the date will be over before it starts. She wants it to be a bit of an adventure in that it's fun to be surprised (as long as it's fun). She likes to keep her options open.
    And so does Boston .. and myself.
    We like to keep things open.
    They (Js) like to keep things nailed down, closed, decided.
    It can be interesting (too interesting at times) when the opposite types travel together. "Who cares where we have lunch .. if we keep our options open we could find new and wonderful place" or "We know JDs os a good place and we could wander around all afternoon...."
    Read "Please Understand Me" if your'e interested.
    Now ... what's your latest plan Boston?

Easy

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Easy,

thanks for that, I understand....

14. masalai

masalai masalai

I appreciate that too, but which am I? both?

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

pretty much nailed it to a tee there easy
    speaking of which
    whats low tide look like on the far end of Bull Island. Is there enough water left for a mooring?
    I'm still chewing on that piece of land up by Ketchikan

my job these days is something that fits right in what your previous Easy, I have about 35 files of various problem jobs that were each screwed up at some random stage in the process. My task is to get these folks through the system and paid up, that way everyone else I work with can keep there sanity and not have to deal with it.

The one I got this morning was some ******* who ran our crew off while yelling obscenities and racial slurs, Im sure there are two sides to the story but our guys work there asses off bla bla bla ,you get the picture. I must remain the most flexible person in our organization in order to perform my task to the needed degree. Consequently I appreciate a good plan, that doesn't mean I need one in order to operate effectively but I appreciate one none the less. The build should be a no remodeling experience and as such, I appreciate the need for a complete plan from the outset. That means not just the boat but also the peripherals. In this case that means the electric system as well, so now that I have decided to go with a factory new engine and trany ( thanks mas and Apex for the help on that one ) I need to make a few choices on the elec system. Gen or Inverter ? The gen will be fine for most things and no Im not planing on running any major tools off of it. The inverter would be ideal but would require a much larger house bank. Which equals weight. Im sure you guys will help me to make the best possible decision, but since weight distribution is such a big deal then its a decision that needs to be had before any serious consideration can be made of a heavy hull designed to take a licking and keep on ticking. So to speak.

anyway thanks for all the encouragement kids
    you have all really been great while I struggle through the basics. Once I get building, things should progress nicely.

cheers
    B

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.