Offset sections for a stepped chine boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TimothyM, Sep 9, 2010.

1. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

I have a customer that wants me to cut station molds to build a plug for a stepped chine boat. The attached drawing shows a section in blue and the ammount he wants to offset for sheathing the plug in red. How do I offset this section and keep the chine locations and/or how is a plug like this normally built?

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Have you ever lofted? If he wants molds cut at the red line, what is the problem?

3. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

I know how to loft, but I have never built a plug for this type of boat. What I really need to know is how this type of mold is sheathed so I can offset the lines correctly

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Typically you subtract the hull shell thickness from the station mold. Of course this means you'll need scantlings for the hull shell, so you know how much to deduct.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.