Ocean Racing Catamaran Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by oldsailor, Apr 11, 2005.

1. oldsailor

oldsailor Junior Member

Does anyone know the the waterline L/B ratio of the hulls of big Cats like Orange 2 and Doha 2006.???

Cheers. Oldsailor. :cool: :) :p

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

The "cattlemarans" (day-passenger tour boat sailing catamarans) that I built for a couple of years in the southern Caribbean had a LWL/BWL ratio of 20:1, and they were definitely not racers. I would suspect that the big, fast boys are playing in the 24:1 range.

3. oldsailor

oldsailor Junior Member

Thanks for that MMD.

I found in a back issue of the AYRS a whole set of test tank data which showed that at fineness ratios above 16 the trade off between wetted surface and L/B ratio starts to show diminishing returns.

Where the displacement can be kept down (ie: ULDB) a greater fineness ratio can be benificial.

I was just wondering what L/B those very big Ocean racers were using since they are ultra light, but still very strong. The French yard who builds them is not saying.!!!

Cheers. Oldsailor. :cool: :) :D

4. oldsailor

oldsailor Junior Member

YES MMD.

I found a great shot of Playstation/Cheyenne and was able to approximate the LB ratio off the screen,and it looks like at least 20:1

There has been very little,if any, improvement since 1969 on the underbody hull shape of the Tornado, and it is 20:1.

The biggest drawback to the long and very skinny Cat hulls is the increase in wetted surface, compared to the lower L/B of a mono. However the Mono is badly penalised by Wave Drag, compared to the skinny wave cheating Cat hulls.

Cheers. Oldsailor. :cool: :) :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.