Ocean Challenge by Marlow Yachts???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tad, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

So....design and build a boat with certain characteristics....then invent a race that this boat can win....then challenge some competitors (building boats that cannot win your invented race) to race with your boat....it's a sure thing!

Also stipulate that these must be "production" boats....whatever that means....and cannot be modified versions....though your boat is designed specifically to make this voyage/race......

Also don't publish the size (weight, length, Beam, etc) or power or tankage of your vessel....but stipulate competitors must be "of similar size and power" ??

Marketing hype? Or...what?

See View attachment marlow0416.pdf

Also http://www.marlowexplorer.com/voyager.htm

2. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I think racing can be a good way to improve the breed, but its always a question of the "handicap" or, as in this case, the design criteria.

I was surprised the Boating Magazine Bermuda Challenge did not result in more attempts: I think only two.

3. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

For example, I was thinking of a race to Hawaii, where there would be classes for using 100 gallons, 200 gallons, and 400 gallons, and whatever you wanted to burn.

4. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Yeah, who determines size and power? Square footage of living space, Displacement? Length? Seems to me you could make the rules up as you went along if someone other than the listed ones stepped up to the plate. Shouldn't that just be a classification of monohull passagemakers under 25 meters or something.

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sounds a little like the America's Cup, doesn't it....;)

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The aim of this "Challenge" by Marlow seems to be speed at sea over a moderately long distance.....something I first wrote about 8 years ago in Passagemaker Magazine...... View attachment passagemaker-lite-article.pdf Oh it's nice to see someone actually catch on!

Boats which are designed to do this type of voyage are excluded due to the "production" designation....Dashew's Windhorse could at least compete though I don't think she is fast enough (long range). Also this boat http://www.saillard-guy.com/index.php?page=moteur&gamme=oc&oc=oc82

The reality is there are few boats able to do this because no one really wants to make long non-stop ocean voyages in big power boats. Buyers of these boats take great pleasure in poking around the edges of the land, and appearing in the various "in" harbours where they can impress others.

But to issue this challenge in today's world without even a mention of fuel consumption is extraordinarily arrogant.....It's a lesson to us "little people" in how little fuel consumption matters to those spending $3m +, they could care less. If Marlow stipulated no more than 1000 gallons of fuel it might get interesting and make some sense.

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

8. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Tad if you look at his challenge you will see a few inconsistencies. One is his listed miles from West Palm Beach to Iceland. The distance listed at 3900 miles is long even with statute miles which means his "miles" are statue miles. He lists 30% faster than others but gauges others at 5-6 knots. 30% faster would be 10 statue miles per hour and he mentions the number 10 in a few places but does not say knots. His actual speed could be as low at 8.5 knots and the miles would be around 3300 NM. An easier challenge to beat except he lists which manufactures he is willing to compete with.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.