Noyo Trawler by Glen L

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Marco1, Jan 19, 2010.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

With regards to the TW28. We're building one and should start sometime soon. IN the process of getting a bow shed up before the snow flies. Anyhow, you won't get the cutting files from the designer. Shipping a kit to Australia should be easy enough. They regularly ship to Europe. The plans are already lofted out if you can get a cheaper source of marine ply nearby. It'd take you a week or so to cut them all out.

According to my count there are 8 built or underway that we know of. Three of these were built in Turkey. Three more are in the works to start soon mine being one of them.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24412

The TW28 is a big boat for an amateur builder, no doubt about that. I've been planning mine for 7 years. We'll likely build the V10 dingy first for the practice and use it later as a tender for the TW28. Our plans also including stretching the TW28 to 31' 5" LOA. Power will be a Yanmar 4JH-TE we bought used w/300 hrs on it.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

2. ozflyer

ozflyer Junior Member

Hi Marco1,
    I see you've still got the Kubota... I'm interested, as in looking for one.
    With regards to your project, what is the intended use and what is you budget for a DIY project?
    Cheers
    Joe

3. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

The DIY project got on the back burner. The cost of ready made boats has dropped so badly that I can not justify to invest hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to have a bot in years (several), when I can buy one.

The (new) Kubota is now for sale. fully marinized and with a brand new PRM80 gear box 2:1.

Hooroo
    Marc

4. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

That is a very Pretty looking boat. It is Way too short. If you added anouter 10 or 12 ft onto the stearn it would look and function much better and you would have a place to fish. Also you could incorporate a dive platform/live well with intergral hydraulic trim tabs into the stern adding anouther 4 ft. Maybe come in at 33-35 ft total with a 10-12 ft beam and a 3 ft draft.

Just by the looks the boat is crying out for a little Diesil engine like a Cummins 5.9 6 cyl. 400HP It would be econmical to run and would boggy scoot to 25 or 30 kts to get to where your going in a respectable ammount of time.

Also go wil a pair of saddle tanks. 100 gal on each side should give you a good days fishing range for a coastal inland cruiser.

And Encapsulate all the wood in clear epoxy for easy maintaince. Wood is good & Strong but a pain in the butt to take care of. be sure to foam core all the cielings and decks to keep noise down and make the boat unsinkable.

[​IMG]

5. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Ha ha, that is a good one. Take the little Noyo Trawler 24 foot and add 12 foot plus 4 swimming platform, take the 8 foot beam and stretch it to 12 ft. The 25 HP engine make it 400 HP engine. 200 gallon tanks and don't forget the epoxy. (I think the fuel tanks are too small.)

I think Glen-L would love your suggestions! As for me, to build a 40x12 footer exceeds the size of my shed and my own lifespan not to mention budged.
    Having said that, it would be possible to buy and older 40 footer, let alone a 24 footer without mortgaging my life trying to build it.
    My personal opinion of course.
    [​IMG]

6. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

I like the stretch version of the 40. This is 40 Meters

Now thats my kind of little Skiff

[​IMG]

LOA
    120’ 7”

LWL
    108’ 4”

Beam
    27’ 11”

Draft
    9’ 0”

Displacement
    848,944 lbs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Marco1,
    Manie's a smart man but I disagree w him. I think one should get 100% rpm at WOT and a 3400rpm, 3600rpm or 3800rpm engine is just fine. But you should get rated rpm at WOT. Also the power required for that trawler 28 is 25 to 30hp in my opinion. Four hp per ton is all that's required fo an average full displacement hull and the trawler 28 is FD. 5hp per ton and maybe 6 is ok but 7 is too much power. I have 5hp per ton in my Willard and almost always run it 700rpm down from max. An excellent engine would be the 3GM Yanmar (27hp). They are very popular in sailboats and can be found used. See if you can find out what to look for to determine if it's an easy boat to build. PAR and many others know what to look for.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have to agree with Easy Rider all the way down the line on this one. An ideal setup is a "full pull" hitting target RPM with the prop(s) and other equipment selections at WOT. Anything other then this means you can make an adjustment somewhere. The 3GM is a fine engine, easily serviced and parts are world wide.

I'm not all that familiar with the Noyo design, except that it's a plank on frame, probably heavier then it needs to be and wow, she's got to move a huge volume around that forefoot. Considering the complexity of the forefoot shapes, some cussing is going on to get those planks to lay down. Anything can be put inside a hull with this kind of volume and she will be reasonable stable and fairly easy on here crew. Her D/L ratio will be in the 270's with a 1,000 pound load. I can think of much worse shapes, to get caught out in a storm with, though this isn't one I'd like to be in if a storm happened by either.

I guess it depends on what you want from this gal and how much weight you add, making it what you want.

9. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Thank you for all your kind replies. I had completely forgotten this thread if it wasn't for a question sent to me about my kubota engine.

I still like the Noyo Trawler by Glen L, it is plywood on frame not plank and according to those who have built it, not too hard to pull it off and would be ideal for my river setting on the Hawkesbury.

However lately my idle time has almost dissapeared and so has the possibility of building a boat. Furthermore after a few successful attempts at importing boats from the US I discovered that with today's prices building would be very expensive in comparison.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.