Non fossil fuel propulsion

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rob denney, Sep 10, 2011.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thats the trouble - youre not actually 'doing it' ! You are just going thru the motions.

Well yeah - isnt everyone ? By the way, the recycling involves melting the batteries down with Coal Fired electricity - because Solar cant do it.

Yes it does. because you can never have enough solar power to drive anything much. You have to store it somewhere to get enough grunt to drive anything useful. The amount of regular sun/wind available at any one time is always a mismatch on consumption - so your storage will always get used extensively.

Of course they did - read the link.

That's then - this is now.

In five years we may be sitting around campfires made from our own dried human waste - who knows.

But in the meantime, going Solar for marine power is just using up more resources than it is saving them. So don't kid yourself you are doing anything useful.

Buying Solar cells, converters and batteries to charge a few low consumption gadgets is not going to save the world.

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Solar and alternative energies excel in some niche uses where nothing else will work, regardless of cost. I'm thinking satellites and certain remote uses where getting conventional fuel in is more expensive or just can't be employed. Of course, you have to avoid the "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail" syndrome in using alternative energies. Methinks some applications will always require fossil fuels or their synthetic equivalents, whatever the cost....

FWIW.

Porta

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

We're not really raggin on solar Sundevil, but a lot of people have come in and made claims of how solar is here and now. But when it comes to a marine application, its really not. Most hybrids end up so heavy they just don't even go anywhere. The ones that can actually move end up sacrificing so much and costing so much they just aren't practical.

The lithium Ion bats help a little but the efficiency of the panels needs to go up considerably as well as the storage capacity vs cost

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

That may put the thought back to the water engine. Although, we all know that splitting water up in hydrogen and then in a combustion engine, will not supply enough energy and you probably have to put more energy into the system then to get out. But what about a small miniature fusion plant in every car, ship etc. The oil companies will not like it very much, nor the governments who are living on the taxes levied on oil products. Also the number of pensioners who are living from their investments in refuelling gas/diesel/petrol stations are not very keen in supporting such thoughts.
    But we are living in a time of miniaturization, why not a small fusion plant?
    Don't tell me, it cannot be done. It depends on how much money and resources can be channelled into the research.
    What happen to this guy? Rumours are that he got killed. Anybody has more information?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1UrlDNkYSo
    Bert

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

He was sued for fraud and never showed his face again .

6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes, there are more of them.

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Most cars today have computerized fuel consumption gauges-in real time- showing you average and instant consumption.

Of the myriad of youtube videos supposedly running cars with "water",I have yet to see one showing the unit being switched on,with a large drop in the mpg...and I want to see the outside remaining flat AND the cruise control on.

If there is one-show me please.

Just like the diesel electric boats, all I ask for is a video with Flo Scans,and gps speed/distance...before and after.
    Not one of the sellers could ever show me one.

9. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

what ever happened to the OP rob denney?

10. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I wouldn't believe them if they did show me.
    I'd want verification from several independent sources with no vested interest
    in the product.

11. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Leo- absolutely..and I'd also want to see non interrupted fuel lines from the injection to the Flo Scans if it were on a boat....etc etc

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

There was scam here recently where someone claimed to increase fuel
    efficiency with some tablets that could be put into the tank.

He had documents verifying his claims that seemed legit.

What he actually did was to bribe a Ukrainian bus driver to falsify a log
    book so that it showed more mileage for the same fuel consumption
    (I think he repeated that a few times in a few countries).
    With that "supporting evidence" he then went on to con quite a few people out
    of their hard-earned.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Something like a 1% mix of acetone is supposed to increase mileage. Not sure though, I've never tried it, and its only for gasoline engines, not diesel.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

There are billions of dollars being invested on getting this idea to work already ....

But on every car, ship etc ????

You may want to do some research on what is involved in getting this fusion thing to work - its not as easy as buying a De Lorean .......

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

small doesn't work out to well with fusion, go look up the Tokomak engine and look at how the efficiency increased with size. Works the same for all the nuclear type power systems.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.