Noah's ark

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Guillermo, Apr 1, 2006.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I can't comment as I did not see it but television info-tainment is not the most reliable source of knowlede. Send them an email and tell em that they are wrong!

This is actually interesting as a failure of one of our related disciplines Hydrodynamics.

An aero-hydrodynamicist tried to analyze the aerodynamics of the bumblebee his assumptions of beat frequency , airspeed, foil attack angle imposition of Kutta condition and max sustained power plant output. The analysis showed a horrific drag figure and a lift figure too low to support the beast. The wings appeared largely stalled . As a lark he reported his findings in a science paper presentation inviting further input.

The Christian fundamentalist movement got hold of this and pushed it for all it was worth as an example of the failing of Biological science which it had nothing to do with .

Shortly afterwards with the generated interest the true flight was analyzed the model adjusted and the musculature of the bee studied. The model was revised and Lo….Bumble bees can fly according to aerodynamic theory. Problem is that the media don’t make a big issue of such corrections. So the old report became an Urban myth.

So you see this sort of crap all the time:
    [And then there's the case of the bumblebee. According to the greatest minds of science, it cannot fly. Its wings aren't big enough. Aerodynamics says it is impossible. The biggest computers in the world all come to the same conclusion, it can't fly. But what does the bumblebee do? It ignores the scientists, the skeptics, the computers... and it just goes ahead and flies...................]

Amen

2. hansp77

hansp77

Where did all the water go?

Not having the "religion in me"
    but also having studied a bit about such things as the controversies, contradictions and problems involved in any 'literal' interpretation of the first books of the bible,
    I find this story rather amusing.
    I wonder what this massive effort hopes to do, (aside from make the kiddies giggle and smile as they are conditioned- a spoon full of sugar?) other than to demonstrate the sheer impossibility of the story of Noah?

Maybe what is actually going on here is cospiracy by fundamentalist aethiests who are posing as christians, in order to build this great ship for a catestrophic sinking and failure not only of the ark- but the whole myth...

3. Gregg

Gregg Junior Member

I will have much more "faith" in our human abilities once we can scientifically come up with accurate and functioning models of not only the bumblebee, but how about a single human cell. Not some copy of a cell by "growing", but physically made from parts collected the world over. I suppose we can't do that yet, cuz we can't even find all the parts to dna strands. So, I suppose until we as humans can do that, well, I guess it's a real long shot to even guess the pathways to the "true" gnome. Egad...lots to do!
    I suppose all of these questions will be answered once I have my 100 foot daysailor moved to the sea. I suppose I should at least get the last remaining tidbits designed first though..."Lots to Do".

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.