No Longer an Idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tayler, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

Well......she finally looks good from 10 ft instead of 50 ft...... :D I know that this isn't the first time that someone has stuck wheels on a boat. However this Idea is a little bit different than all of the others that I have seen. The concept was to design a purpose built fishing / hunting boat that took all of the headaches of electrics i.e. heavy batteries and the loading and unloading of all the gear first on the car and then off the car at the ramp. Of course when your done you have to do it all over again when you ready to leave. Well this one solves all the problems that leaves you on the couch vs going out to fish for an hour or two. It is designed to be towed by quads, golfcarts or small cars. This is just a proof of concept and the concept as a whole is patent pending. I do want to look at manufacturing or partnering with a manufacturer. Any advice?

[​IMG]
    Bow
    [​IMG]
    Stern
    [​IMG]
    Stern Side
    [​IMG]
    Rear Hell Hole
    [​IMG]
    Center Console still needs touch up work
    [​IMG]
    Forward Deck Lid Flipped
    [​IMG]
    Deck Lid / Tackle Box
    [​IMG]
    Forward Hatches Removed
    [​IMG]
    Forward Hell Hole

Free rides if your coming down to Hilton Head. Oh and maybe some of these....They are 2" thick.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance,

Tayler

2. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Pretty neat! Do you have any profile shots and can you tell us about the hull design? Those built in chargers are really super for that application.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

take huge care in doing the suspension. Too hard and it will jar and slam everything...too soft and it might become uncontrollable with a combo of speed and terrain. Unfortunately...the heavier the boat the better the suspension will work(if done properly) but you want lighter for when it is a boat...tough decisions lie ahead.

PS: I had one of those steaks Saturday...at around an inch thick. With baked potato, mixed veggies and Texas toast...I couldn't eat another thing for about 14 hours.

4. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

The suspension is done. It has close to 150 miles on it already. This is boat part deux. Here is a video of the first working concept.

[​IMG]

Tayler

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I wonder if you will need a trailer plate for your boat.:D

Nice project.

6. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

It depends on the state your in. Here I dont need a plate or lights.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I think it's a great idea. Clever and practical.

I can't quite tell how the suspension is set up- more photos would be greatly appreciated :)

Up here you'd need a trailer licence plate for it, but those are cheap and never need renewing. Lights are a simple and cheap addition. At that size I think you can skip the trailer brakes :D

8. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

Thanks for the kind words. I went out and put it in at an unimproved launch site. Worked well on the soft sand. If anyone is interested in the design let me know I do want to start selling them. Hopefully I will be able to get video this weekend if the weather permits. I'll post it later.

Tayler

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I was actually wondering about washboard and how it would stand up. Lotsa good fishin holes out in the back of beyond off of washboard dirt roads and wagon trails.

10. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

Drive it like you stole it. The boat is very light in comparison to the vehicle that the wheels and suspension came off of. So it will handle washboard roads. Just use common sence and don't push it so hard that it starts jumping. I was considering naming it bullfrog..... :rolleyes: One of the origional concept thoughts was for backwoods ponds that could be reached by a quad bike or with a side by side ATV. Around here we have a lot of gated communities with freshwater lagoons. They are electric only and most of the residents have a golf cart. That was another thought in the design process. Just hook it up to any thing with a ball hitch and go.

11. Tayler

Tayler Junior Member

Here it is all trimmed out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.