NEWBY need advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kevthebuilder, Feb 12, 2009.

1. kevthebuilder

kevthebuilder New Member

hi everybody,i am looking for advice on what type of boat to build,i am dissabled so i will not be able to use sails so looking for something to take to europe that sleeps at least 6 and prefably has outboards and is pretty fast.
    i have experience with joinery,plumbing some basic electrics and welding.
    from what i have gathered so far i would prefer to use ply and cover it in fibreglass and epoxy,i am not in a wheelchair so steps are not a problem.
    i live near the river mersey and the plan is to hop around the coast to portsmouth to visit family and then across to france without hanging around too long in the shipping lanes and then on to the med.
    i have never built a boat before but have help from friends and i am confident in my ability,i have lots of time and not much money any advice will be gratefully recieved,thanks.......kev

2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Junior Member

would be a LOT cheaper to find an existing boat that needs a bunch of work and fix it.

3. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

1. What, EXACTLY is/are your disability(s)?
    That is the VERY FIRST thing that needs to be considered.

2. I would HIGHLY (and from personal experience) recommend that you do a couple "practice builds" of smaller boats before building your "big one." It'll take more time, and cost you a little money in the process, but in the end the knowledge & experience you gain will be PRICELESS.

NOTE: As can be found elsewhere in this forum, I'm wanting to build a 76' by 44' tri to sail to southern Italy from southern Texas (so I can appreciate your goal). I haven't even BEGUN to THINK ABOUT starting construction on that boat yet. Instead, I've started (and almost finished, now) construction on a 4'10" by 9'4" cat as my first project, and I'm now about 85% done designing the 22'6" by 10' cat that will be my second endeavor. I already have a MUCH better understanding of the design & build process now, and expect to multiply that knowledge quickly over the next several builds; not to mention that I'll be gaining experience with various building methods, so I can find out what is (or isn't) "right" for me, before I start on a tens-of-thousands-of dollars ship, only to find out that I hate the construction method, and wasted my money!

...just my $0.02 of friendly advice. ;)

4. kevthebuilder

kevthebuilder New Member

newby

thanks for your replies,my dissabilities are from a car crash in 2005,i had a spinal fusion in my neck area which is taking out a disc in the spine and replacing it with metal,unfortunately my spinal chord is a bit squashed and i have spasms,i also use a walking stick but i have strong pain killers and i am sick of looking at 4 walls i also have lots of help,i was thinking of building something smaller first to use as a tender,thanks for the advice.......kev

5. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Kev-

I'm facing a 3-level fusion of my L4+L5+S1 sometime in the next few years...I've actually been putting it off (with the help of LOTS of Vicodin, Percocet, and a little Morphine) for about 5 years now, so I "feel your pain" there!

I hate to hear that you're needing a stick/cane to help you with walking, but that CAN be helped on a boat. I think the biggest things I'd recommend for you are:
    1. Install had-rails at a height you can easily use EVERYWHERE on the boat, put them around the edges of the deck, on the outside walls of the cabin, on the inside walls of the cabin, EVERYWHERE. A walking stick will do you absolutely no good on a rough sea, but having a handrail (or two) within easy reach everywhere you need to walk will let you get to where you need to go.
    2. Whomever designs your boat, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that they are fully aware of your exact disabilities, and design the boat specifically to help you with them. (A sailboat that's well designed FOR YOU, may not be out of your reach after-all...if you really want one...ESPECIALLY if you're always going to have a couple friends aboard in case all he** breaks loose)
    3. Have the backs of all of the seats in the boat raised to include headrests, I'm sure you can understand how the added support will help save you some pain.
    4. Consider having electronic/hydraulic systems (even if it's only electronic "assist") installed for steering, line handling (if you decide to try a sailboat), etc. That way if you're having weakness, cyatica, etc. you'll still be able to handle the wheel.
    5. Always, always, ALWAYS have at least one friend with you if you're having spasms. The middle of nowhere is NOT the place to have a debilitating attack with nobody around to help you!
    6. Whatever you decide on, HAVE FUN, and be sure to enjoy the build as much as you plan to enjoy the boating! :)

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Having some problems with legs myself, boatbuilding has been good physical therapy for me. I have had build up my upper body to compensate for weaker legs. That said your boat as stated above has to be design for you moving around. I can hang like a monkey from door way to door way if needed. Your legs are less important than hands in moving around moving boat.

On boat purchases, buy a running boat then fix it for your needs. If you build from design to finish depending on size you could die of old age before you finish. Also the more is already there the less the cost over runs that will happen.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.