Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MaritimeArch, Dec 26, 2015.

1. MaritimeArch

MaritimeArch New Member

First post, so be gentle with the rubber gloves.

I have recently been looking at clinker designs, particularly whaleboats. While looking through some archive stuff I came across something I havn't seen before.

Does anyone know what this handle-like structure is attached to the hull of this old whaleboat? This looks to be the starboard side of the boat, and I am assuming there is another one port as well but I have never seen them before.

Handles for carrying? Tie-down for inverted storage on a deck?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. cmckesson

cmckesson Naval Architect

All of the above, plus serving as skids to protect the bottom when hauling the boat ashore.

Also lifesaving handles to hang onto if the boat finds herself inverted at sea (easy to envision with a whaleboat.)

Welcome aboard.

Chris

3. MaritimeArch

MaritimeArch New Member

Handles, etc..

Wow, thanks for the quick response and the welcome.

I can definitely see them for carrying or hanging on when the boat has capsized. They look quite high on the hull given the draught of most 27' whalers.

Do these have a name? I can't seem to find another picture or reference to them anywhere.

Thanks again,

MA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.