Newbie needs some clues.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by troutrunner, Oct 16, 2010.

1. troutrunner

troutrunner New Member

Hello all,
    Please treat me gently as a first timer, I have a lot of good quality 1/4inch ply and thought it might be possible to use it for a smallish river/canal boat.

I am thinking of one in the region of 18/20foot long, a friend has one in glassfibre and thought it could be copied and made with ply. Has anyone any ideas on how to work out a plan taken from his boat, I have some thoughts already but would be gratefull of any comments and ideas.

I'm in your hands, regards, Paul

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

To build a plywood boat, choose a design that is hard-chined. Copying a rounded hull is difficult for obvious reasons. In fact, even talented boat designers don't find it particularly easy to convert curves to facets. Give yourself a break and buy a set of plans. They won't cost much if the boat is small and simple.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

4. troutrunner

troutrunner New Member

Thanks Richard for your welcome.

I'm new to the idea of boat building but not so new to working with wood, I have an idea, perhaps not conventional but want to try.

All comments will be taken on board (pun intended), over a period of time it will become clear to me if my thoughts are practical.

Thanks for your thoughts and plans so far, I look forward to many more,

Paul

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can use plywood to build a round bilge design, but these would be a rare find as most are chine as Alan has mentioned. Also, most round bilge designs of the size you desire, would incorporate 3 mm (1/8") plywood, in two or more layers, rather then 1/4".

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Plywood is perfect for stitch and glue boatbuilding. Find a set of plans that matches what you are looking for and have at it. I am sure there are plans available that come very close to your friends boat, but have chines rather than round bilges.

Try http://www.devlinboat.com/

or http://www.bateau.com/

and http://www.glen-l.com/

Or do an internet search on stitch and glue boat building.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.