Newbie to boat design and building wants to make own boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bigisland, Jan 19, 2007.

1. bigisland

bigisland Junior Member

Aloha,

I am a current student at the Marine Education and Training Center in Honolulu Hawaii. I have the basic skills of glassing and woodworking and I have done some hand drafted line drawings of sailboats. The reason I am writing is because I was thinking of trying to design and build my own 16' radon like fishing boat. Do you think it is possible for me actually do it? I have been devouring books from the Gougeon Brothers to basic boat repairs just so I can get more info. on how to do it. Where do I start? anyways if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Mahalo.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Mahalo,go do it

3. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

A 16 footers would be a perfect size to start. My first skiff was a 16 footer (15' 10") and i put 35,000nm on her before is built a 19 footer. The great thing about a 16 footer is you can fab it from common sized sheets of plywood. i'm talking about a seaworthy flatbottom design.

You could bolt a 40-50hp outbd tiller on a 16 foot flatbottom skiff and own the sea around you for 40 miles in any direction. (pick your days of course...)

The first thing to do is to draw a sketch of your perfect boat. Then make a model from cardboard and scotch tape. Make a few models untill you have a good one...

From there it is just a matter of plane geometry, woodworking, time and dedication....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.