Newb needs Info, canoe, lofting from a table of offsets

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MontiPora, Sep 21, 2011.

1. MontiPora

MontiPora New Member

Hello all,

I am a newb to this forum but have a question.

My project is small in scale and long on hours in that I am going to build a canoe. I have a set of dimensions listed in a table of offsets (both heights and half-breadths) and need to create the mold profiles from the tables for each station and mount them onto a strongback.

Unfortunately, I never learned to loft from a table of offsets.

Can someone give me a plain English description of how to the data off these tables on onto a piece of plywood for cutting?

Thanks

Mont

2. MontiPora

MontiPora New Member

OK, no takers...I ordered a book.

Quick question...When dealing with the table of heights, what stable reference point does the term " Butt 2" " refer to?

TIA

Monti

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I would take it to mean buttock 2.The spacing of buttocks and waterlines should be shown somewhere on your plans.You also need the height of the baseline and the arrangement of the diagonals-if the designer used any.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The table of offsets will say what the reference line is. It can be the keel or an arbitrary line.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.