newb - building a houseboat on a pontoon boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rock, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rock

rock New Member

Wonderful info, exactly what I was after. No idea what it weighs now. The deck and roof need to be replaced due to rot. Once it is stripped down I will get a weight and go from there. Looks like I need to get it down to about 3500 lbs ready for passengers. Under no circumstances will I allow it to reach max weight. I will push a hot rod to it's limits cuz that is me by myself. This project doesn't need to get even close to the edge. Again I appreciate the info and opinions.
    Using the term "houseboat" was probably somewhat misleading. I have no intentions of living on this thing but may spend a night or two on it someday. We only boat on the local river so it will never see any rough stuff. I will start getting things weighed and planned out. Thanks again for the help.

Rock

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Bang together a Glen L Houseboat. The hull or hulls are the fastest and easiest part of the build. You could probably build new plywood hulls from scratch faster than you could prep your pontoon boat for the house build.

Steve

3. bigeasy

bigeasy New Member

Rock:

I'm planning on building a cabin on a pontoon the same size as yours. I ordered plans from Glenn L Boats, Huck Finn style. I am going to cruise down the Mississippi river starting at the Coon Rapids dam. And hopefully enjoy it enough to make it all the way home, which is in St. Bernard parish just south of New Orleans.
    Did you come up with a plan yet?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.