New radical boat kitchen?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by westlawn5554X, Aug 10, 2006.

1. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I have been designing my perfect kitchen until I stumble on these picture, the unit can be a cosmetic blessing for the awful pole within the yachts. The kitchen would spin to reveal other facility or facet of utility thus saving space. These kitchen cover can be slide and locked for that rough ride. I just dont know of the manufacturer. Any ideas or comment?

Student

Attached Files:

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Boat kitchens.

Boat kitchen requirements:

The kitchen and all what is in it does not go airborne when boat is heeled.

The cook must be able to brace himself in a position where he can reach all equipment without beening hit by inventory flying around.

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

The kitchen itself will be modify to be marine friendly or IMO. There will be an extenal parimeter narrow table, for food placement while you select the other facility by revolving the kitchen through electric motor or manual.

The external table would be a good hold point. The kitchen would be design and incorperate with gear lock or lock switch. to prevent movement in rough weather.

Student

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

The spinning pert would be difficult with cables going to the fridge, lights etc.

5. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

I have seen somewhere in beyond2000 show that a rotating house uses multiple contact surface. Maybe like your BMX bike turning with all those cables during the handle turn in mid-air.

Student

Edit: although the design flaw would be an expose circuit that would that would cause electric shock if in present of water.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The heavier side would be on the lee side always. A rolling and pitching boat would make it turn out of control. On rough weather it is necessary to use the galley too. Do you expect sailors to survive on crackers for a week?

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Yes, I agree, but then, I have not seen anything as a central kitchen in a boat ,the other kind of possibility would be the tree stand.

Student

Attached Files:

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dont listen to these people,--- I like it,--it would be a simple matter to lock it into position and the wires only need to feed the appliance through 180 degrees. It would certainly need some holes and slots to keep stuff in place, but hey you knew that!!

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The reason you don't see them in boats is because they are not a good idea. Galleys, not kitchens, should have a small area for the cook with good footholds and a waist strap for cooking in rough weather.

10. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

What are they teaching at Westlawn and just what is a boat kitchen? Is it that thing between the patio and bathroom?

I get the runaround in a normal kitchen. Probably run myself ragged around one on a lazy susan.

11. nero

nero Senior Member

It would not lend anything structuraly to the hull. This is what many cabinets double as.

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

aww - come on guys - ok so you wouldn't put in an offshore racing yacht, but a variation may be just the ticket for one of the floating condo's that are all the rage these days.
    I say good on you for thinking outside the box and for having put the idea up for others to see (ed: steal! - I've been saying for years that sports cruisers should have all their living spaces on the main deck.Azimut copy the idea and everyone thinks it's a revolution!;) I mean hey - if we wanted to spend all our time downstairs in a dark little cave, we'd all buy sailboats...:eek: )

13. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Wondered if you would pop in Will with the reference to Westlawn. If this little gem can't stand a little ribbing, then maybe its as kooky as it sounds. On second thought and following your suggestion, it probably does fit right in on some of the mega floating things we see nowadays. It sure doesn't fit on any boat I'm on or likely to ever be on.

You got to admit, the kitchen terminology is a bit offputting in boat design. Sure is outside the box though. Come to think of it, it might fit in on some of the houseboat boxes.

Would you deny regulars a few laughs? Heck, a name like 5554X is worth a couple chuckles all by itself. We are much too serious here sometimes.

Anyway 5554X, welcome to the forum. Nothing personal. Can't be personal to a number. How about a name?

14. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

My real surname is WEI, and that is enough for the game. :) I am a cook with 3 title Championship in my belt fot the local cooking competition , that's why the present small kitchen is a headache to me. I would prefer a kitchen that would rotate to reveal facilities but save spaces. This idea probarly from the land and I found it not on purpose but then again I feel everybody should brainstorm together.

I dont think this is my own idea unless I created something that really will survive in a boat and solve the electric contact problem.

Electricity does kill.

Student

15. yago

yago __

(yet) another problem with round kitchens is that they waste space. Round things can't fill corners. If it's integrated into furniture, like the round turning trays for pots and pans in kitchens, you don't see it so much, but you still have less stowage space than if you would fully use the space it occupies.

So, yes, you probably could manage to design something like that for a very big boat, but what's the point really?

Also: On yachts big enough to be able to waste space, you rarely see the galley, because it's reserved for usage by the crew, near the crew quarters, and again, there the space is usually less generous than in the owners and guest areas.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.