New ideas, and new materials

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Stumble, Jun 29, 2010.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

:eek: "Not all our members actually know what they're talking about...."
    I resemble that remark. :D

Stumble, well said.

1 person likes this.
  2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

We have an old arabic saying that goes something like this:

"When you want to make good bread, give it to the baker! And if you still want to do it yourself learn from the baker first."

3. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell.

Totally agreed. Or should I doubt?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

He should have said

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. .... I THINK."

but then, no one would have believed him.

5. bearflag

bearflag Inventor/Fabricator

Ahh, but Bertand Russell, being the philosopher that he is would know that "i think" is implicit in anything you say, and therefore superfluous. :)

6. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Dreamers

Hi There,
    beeing an autodidact by myself in the field of designing but a pro in sailing and boatbuilding, I partly can understand these inexperienced people that put unrrealistic threads here.

They want to realize their dreams and if possible with cheap materials from the home-improvement-shop. This is also a dream of the human nature! To fulfill a big project from the beginning (design) over the middle (building) to the end (sailing around the world with "the perfect boat".

This deam is hardly possible to fulfil in our times since we buy ready made products or working only on small pieces of a product) Unforturtunally these people have no idea how much engeneering is neccesary to bring a boat design up to the "ready to be built" level.

One problem is the availability of free design software where it's possible to design a hull with just a little training. We all know that the lines of a hull is just a small part of the boat but this is not obvious to the beginner. He thinks with a nice sheet of offsets he ist able to do the whole thing. In reality he even cannot interpret the flotation centers and pressure points or the resistance numbers from the virtual test tanks.

If we all were still working with paper and fairing battens the beginners would stop exactly here because they could'nt do it further.

Of course the beginner is disappointed and gets aggressive when you tell him that all his work is very good for the rubbish bin but no good idea for the workshop.

Finally, just a few examples of ideas that people fought for that will never go anywhere, where they refused to listen to reason, logic, or reality:

3) A six foot boat built to sail around the world.

I really made some design scetches for the "around in ten" feet challenge a few years ago and thought it would be a good idea! Looking at mirrow dinghy lying on the beach and to imagine to cross an ocean wth it ... cured me! But if someone is interested ... i still have them ... contact me!

4) New material XXX that solves all the problems of existing materials, weighs less, and is cheaper than everything.

I really have some good experiences with the blue styrofoam with glass and epoxy over it. Of course in very small catamarans -trimarans and surfboards only.

My favorite nogo-threads (slightly overstated) are :

"I want to design and build a 37' colin archer to have a good allround sailing boat to be built within 1000 hours and a budget of 4000$. (Ready to win the Volvo Ocean Race)"

"Help me to design a future looking (star-wars-ready) catamaran. But sorry I have no knowledge about hydrodramatics" (Do you have the phonenumber of this Archimedis guy? I want him to explain me one more time this thing with water and volume)

With a big :D , Michel

7. Sterling99

Sterling99 New Member

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

BE BRAVE ,

Your Brain Farts might not work for what YOU had in mind , but could be a big problem solver for someone Else!

SO its strange and unusual, so what?

We all progress on others ideas , sometimes sharing strange ones IS worthwhile.

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

The problem is not sharing ideas, its:
    1- Debating ideas with out proper knowledge and understanding.
    2- Disregarding people who actually know what they are talking about.
    3- Jumping too early in the water with out knowing how to swim!
    4- Getting pissed when experts tell you it wont work and ranting.

Experience is one of the thing you can not buy, rush or get easily.

I have learned a lot since i joined and i am and will always be a beginner, becuase no matter how much i will learn, there will always be some one who surpasses my knowledge.

10. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

I agree!!!!!
    Michel

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I think he is dead, lo these many years.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.