new free design & building project: YAGO 31' steel origami yawl

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by yago, Aug 17, 2004.

1. yago

yago __

I thought you might be interested by a new design and building project:
    YAGO 31 is a steel gaff yawl with traditional looking topsides and a “modern” hull with twin lateral daggerboards.

Building has started in 2004 and the hull is currently under construction.

The boat is designed for folded steel, or “ORIGAMI” assembly. The hull was tacked together within days from flat sheet material without jig, support, lifting material and so on.

All Plans, drawings and building documentation will be released for free during summer and autumn on the project’s website, analog to “open source” conditions, better known from software development.

Extensive building diary, explication of the origami-assembly method and in future all downloads can be found at:

The YAGO Project, http://www.justmueller.com/boats/

I would love to hear from you ;-)

All the best
    Gerd

2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Yago

Hi

Very nice boat design. The only change I would consider would be making the base of the skeg longer. That way it could bounce off logs, rocks, and shipping containers better :) The twin dagger boards would probably give much better directional stability than one single one that is twice the chord (they would also make handy grounding legs too) :) .
    I also like the divided rig. The open 50's and 60's get by fine with a fractional sloop rig but they have expensive automatic stearing gear powered by constantly running deisels. Your concept seems much more sensible for the more self reliant sailor. The gaff rig seems to be a good way to get a lot of power with shorter spars (and smaller jibs)
    I, myself, would never want to go to sea in anything I could not make or repair myself (maybe THE one arguement for building your own). And your concept seems to fit that principle fine.
    I have been playing with a design concept myself for years. It is a 6.2 x 1.5m mini-cruiser with no metal ballast (and a short skimpy rig to prove it). It has vertical sides sides bent in a constant arc and a "V" bottom. The main reason for this hull simplicity was to make fitting an interior as easy as possible (hydro dynamics be damned). It has but a single sail of my own design and a disproportionately large vane (to make up for lack of balance) tacked on to its outboard rudder which in turn is guarded by a massive skeg. It has no shrouds or stays supporting its single stubby mast (its 1.5m beam provides for poor geometry anyway) and has only an electric trolling motor for auxilliary (powered by solar panels and a bank of deep cycle batterys).
    It has a keel arrangement simular to yours except mine are attached at the deck and splayed out from the sides (with a sturdy brace on each just above the waterline)
    In short, it is a boat only a mother (or fool) can love. (maybe the SECOND reason for building your own) ;)

Good luck with your project.

Bob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.